Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #94412  by spillanej

I'm looking for any range that allows a draw from holster straight into the firing line. Can anyone help?
 #94414  by GreaseMonkey

TargetMaster used to allow it (if they knew you) when they weren't busy, but how often is that place not completely packed anymore? Other than that, DSPC's Action Pistol nights help you to get some draw/fire drills under your belt. Aside from that, all I can think to tell you is to find a friend with enough property to shoot on and have a blast.
 #94425  by Owen

GreaseMonkey wrote:TargetMaster used to allow it (if they knew you) when they weren't busy, but how often is that place not completely packed anymore? Other than that, DSPC's Action Pistol nights help you to get some draw/fire drills under your belt. Aside from that, all I can think to tell you is to find a friend with enough property to shoot on and have a blast.
+1 To Action Pistol night at DSPC. Next Monday and also new AP shooter night next Wednesday.
 #94426  by spillanej

GreaseMonkey wrote:TargetMaster used to allow it (if they knew you) when they weren't busy, but how often is that place not completely packed anymore? Other than that, DSPC's Action Pistol nights help you to get some draw/fire drills under your belt. Aside from that, all I can think to tell you is to find a friend with enough property to shoot on and have a blast.
I'd love to own a large plot of land one day... I'd build up large embankments and make a 360 degree range... put up outdoors sound proofing. Definitely would invite people to learn on a real world range instead of a square range.
 #94434  by GreaseMonkey

Ahh yes, to dream the dream... I've been trying to get into the Southern Chester County Farmers and Sportsman's Association for years, I've even looked into the Brandywine Hundred Rod and Gun Club ($$$$$)... I wish I could find any club with open membership where I could shoot all of my guns and get a chance to surround myself with like-minded people... Unfortunately, I can't find a club within reasonable driving distance that's had an opening for the past 3 years... :banghead:
DSPC was nice, but they were limited to pistol calibers and working around the full schedule of Bullseye matches/shooters was a pain...
There isn't even a public range I've found to be the least bit satisfying... Ommelanden's range officers are awful, TargetMaster is nice, if you can get past the attitude and clientelle, and Elk Neck worries me because of the draconian laws in Marylandistan...
I've heard stories for years about X-Ring possibly starting a range somewhere in Newark, but I'm not holding my breath...
 #94440  by Kuntryboy816

spillanej wrote:I'd love to own a large plot of land one day... I'd build up large embankments and make a 360 degree range... put up outdoors sound proofing. Definitely would invite people to learn on a real world range instead of a square range.
Just go into Wilmington and have a blast... literally. It's all the real world range you could ever ask for and seems to be a popular place for shooting....
:troll:

If I ever had the money and space to do so I'd love to set up a kill house. Something that had modular walls and multiple entrances in order to be able to set up a seemingly endless variety of scenarios for CQB, house clearing, etc. I don't think they allow use of paint round ammo to civilians yet so paintball markers may have to substituted.
 #94448  by mdak06

If you ever are in Maryland, the FreeState Gun Range in Middle River (about 42 miles from the DE border, I-95 S to MD-43) will let you draw if they've signed you off to do so. From their range rules:

Shooters wanting to practice holster draw (strong side belt holsters only) must first be FreeState Holster Draw Certified and notify the RSO. You MUST remove the shooting table from the shooting booth, stay within the shooting booth, and keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. Shoulder holsters or cross-draw holsters may not be used unless authorized by the Range Officer.

FYI, they do have memberships (although they're not required to shoot there) and they are an indoor range. I know it's not really convenient but I suppose it's an option, if you want to take the time to make the trip. :?
 #94453  by Kuntryboy816

mdak06 wrote:If you ever are in Maryland, the FreeState Gun Range in Middle River (about 42 miles from the DE border, I-95 S to MD-43) will let you draw if they've signed you off to do so. From their range rules:

Shooters wanting to practice holster draw (strong side belt holsters only) must first be FreeState Holster Draw Certified and notify the RSO. You MUST remove the shooting table from the shooting booth, stay within the shooting booth, and keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. Shoulder holsters or cross-draw holsters may not be used unless authorized by the Range Officer.

FYI, they do have memberships (although they're not required to shoot there) and they are an indoor range. I know it's not really convenient but I suppose it's an option, if you want to take the time to make the trip. :?
The range's name is a bit ironic.....
 #94454  by mdak06

Kuntryboy816 wrote:
mdak06 wrote:If you ever are in Maryland, the FreeState Gun Range in Middle River <snip>
The range's name is a bit ironic.....
LOL. Maryland's known as the "free state" because they were one of the first colonies (about four centuries ago) to offer protection from persecution for a religious minority (in this case, the Catholics). It's certainly not because of anything they've done recently.

I think "The Bureaucrat State" or the "Freedom From Choice State" would be more appropriate.
 #94488  by spillanej

Kuntryboy816 wrote:
spillanej wrote:I'd love to own a large plot of land one day... I'd build up large embankments and make a 360 degree range... put up outdoors sound proofing. Definitely would invite people to learn on a real world range instead of a square range.
Just go into Wilmington and have a blast... literally. It's all the real world range you could ever ask for and seems to be a popular place for shooting....
:troll:

If I ever had the money and space to do so I'd love to set up a kill house. Something that had modular walls and multiple entrances in order to be able to set up a seemingly endless variety of scenarios for CQB, house clearing, etc. I don't think they allow use of paint round ammo to civilians yet so paintball markers may have to substituted.
Simunition FX marking cartridges are available for sale. You just need a conversion barrel.