Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #98246  by brian10x

I'm moving to Delaware in a few months and I'm a bit spoiled by the ease of shooting in Arizona . When I had a truck I used to shoot in the desert for free, although the cost of gas offset the "free" somewhat.

Now I shoot at an outdoor public range that charges $8.00 +.25/target for as long as you want.

I'm hoping to move near my friend in Seaford. So tell me, how bad (or good) is it?

#98247  by Surface Dragon

Shooter's Choice in Dover DE costs $17 per hour to use their range. ($15 per hour if you buy their ammo)
I think its $1 per target and its $175 per year to join their club/membership. ($225 per year for family membership and $99 for Military/LEO/1st-responder/retired-military/Senor)

Members get free range time, 5%off firearms, 10%off training, 15%off rental guns(which are usually $15 per hour with the ability to swap as many times as you want during that hour), and 25%off guest range fees.

$50 per hour for individual training and $175 per person for concealed carry course.

No steel ammo or targets with faces allowed. No loaded or open/concealed firearms allowed so lock it in a case with ammo totally separate and check your firearm at the counter as soon as you enter. The staff will probably seem pretty edgy/tense if its your first time in but the owner is really nice.

I've been there a few times and its alright but I still miss the range that I went to when I lived in California.

I hope you find this helpful.

shooterschoicede.com
 #98251  by Owen

I've never been, but you being as far south as Seaford, I'd look into Bridgeville Rifle and Pistol club: http://bville-rifle-pistol.org/

I considered going down there myself but I am lazy about the drive. :roll:
Last edited by Owen on Mon May 12, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #98252  by Kuntryboy816

Gotta bring your own targets but they have backers for them and the stands are automated (when they work). Not sure about the targets with faces rule here. Also they're only open 4 days IIRC. There's also places downstate. Weren't you moving down there?
http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/fw/Hunter ... 202013.pdf

Targetmaster has a nice facility. Their prices are about in line with Shooter's Choice.
http://www.targetmaster.com/
 #98255  by brian10x

No problem! I'll just start my own range!

Introducing the new Brian10x Range!

Range rules:

-No more than one shot per second
-No faces on targets
-Fees are per minute
-No loaded weapons unless shooting
-No holstered weapons
-No reloaded ammunition
-No steel core ammunition
-No hollow point ammunition
-No scary looking guns
-Nothing larger than 9mm, so the concussion won't bother other shooters
-No gang attire
-No tatoos
-No cell phones
-No pictures
-No videos
-No smoking
-No excessive smiling or laughing
-Cardboard backing must be no less than 1/4" thickness
-Range ammo only.
Be safe and have fun!
 #98256  by Scubaquad

The Bridgeville Club is a good public range, except it's not wheelchair accessible and they refused my request to make it accessible, even though it only would've cost a few loads of crushed shells to do so. That was poor judgement on their part. The annual membership is $75.
http://bville-rifle-pistol.org/

JD Defense is a nice place to shoot in Georgetown. Their website says membership is limited, but I understand it to be open to anyone to become a member. I think they limit it to prevent overcrowding. I've had to wait and even come home w/o shooting when they were full. The yearly memberships are expensive (last I knew $250 yearly for premium membership, maybe higher now--more for family memberships) and they have restrictions on reloads and you can't pick up your brass.
http://www.jddefense.com/

The Nanticoke Sportsmant's Club is a limited membership facility in Seaford with a waiting list, but it's worth getting on that list as soon as you arrive. It's a well kept facility with several private shooting sections. Yearly membership for associate members is $75 yearly and $40 for stockholders. This is by far the best place to shoot in Southern DE.
http://www.nanticokesportsmensclub.org/ ... lcome.html
 #98257  by NCC

brian10x wrote:Are you sure that isn't Bloomberg shooting range?

So I take it poor people like me can never afford to shoot?
Sure you can, just give up eating for the week.

;)
 #98258  by pick_six

brian, it's just a matter of getting used to things. eastern states and western states are VERY different in the way certain things work, that's for sure.

in de, only about 7% of the land is govt owned, and that land isn't treated "free willy" style like it is out west. bundy and the blm aside, most of the land isn't heavily regulated.

arizona being +/-53% government owned, and there is a lot of land that they don't much care about, makes for the kind of places where just going out and shooting is possible. as you know, just don't use TOO MUCH tannerite or start a range fire, and you're ok.

realistically and practically speaking, it's like a whole 'nother country, to borrow the old texas advertising slogan.

as an side to one of your points: i did a ccw qualification not long ago, at a place that rents out full auto tourist guns. shooting an indoor / enclosed range 4 lanes down from a SAW ain't no fun! :) the instructor, who is deaf, even cringed when they opened up. he didn't mind waiting for the tourists to finish.

on the bright side, hunting isn't so difficult, or at least getting a tag. just walk in and buy one, and you actually get multiples, then find some public land and go. some is public land is free, no lottery. some requires lottery. and if you get in a lease arrangement, you can go whenever you want. no lottery at all. so there are plus' and minus' to the whole east coast / west coast thing.
brian10x wrote:No problem! I'll just start my own range!

Introducing the new Brian10x Range!

Range rules:

-No more than one shot per second
-No faces on targets
-Fees are per minute
-No loaded weapons unless shooting
-No holstered weapons
-No reloaded ammunition
-No steel core ammunition
-No hollow point ammunition
-No scary looking guns
-Nothing larger than 9mm, so the concussion won't bother other shooters
-No gang attire
-No tatoos
-No cell phones
-No pictures
-No videos
-No smoking
-No excessive smiling or laughing
-Cardboard backing must be no less than 1/4" thickness
-Range ammo only.
Be safe and have fun!
 #98260  by David

There are an awful lot of us shooting in our backyards in Sussex. Free of charge.