Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #100146  by sethinde

Gotcha, I am a member of USPSA. Was looking for closer events. I usually attend Southern Chester County Sportsman and Farmers Association's Matches. I also have been known to frequent Delaware State Pistol Club.
 #100147  by knohope

viper98 wrote:Nice. Looks like a great time.
You know it Chris! By the way, I'm very close to making the move on a new limited gun for USPSA. You'll be my first call when I decide. ;)
 #100148  by knohope

sethinde wrote:Gotcha, I am a member of USPSA. Was looking for closer events. I usually attend Southern Chester County Sportsman and Farmers Association's Matches. I also have been known to frequent Delaware State Pistol Club.
Ok. I'm actually a member of SCCSFA, but I've only made one of their USPSA matches :oops:
The monthly match conflicts with one of the others I typically shoot.

I did shoot a couple of DSPC matches a couple of years ago. They grew in attendance so quick, I could no longer get there in time after work before they reached capacity. That was before they added Wed matches.

Lower Providence runs really good matches. You're likely to see a lot of familiar faces there too.
 #100154  by Owen

Looks like fun!

You don't have to answer of course, but I notice that you were shooting with a concealment vest. If that was Quinton NJ and you have a NJ permit that is quite an achievement! :applause:
 #100167  by knohope

Owen wrote:Looks like fun!

You don't have to answer of course, but I notice that you were shooting with a concealment vest. If that was Quinton NJ and you have a NJ permit that is quite an achievement! :applause:
No NJ permit for me. Since this is an official IDPA match and concealment is required, the rules default to what the sport dictates. Same applies for the Maryland matches where I shoot with 20+ capacity in my pistol ;)
 #100172  by Owen

Wow I wouldn't think their laws would have exceptions for a sport. That's interesting. Thanks!
 #100173  by Piazza

So hypothetically speaking, if you were to get pulled over in Maryland on your way to a match how could you so prove it was for sport and thus be excluded from the law? I'm curious because my XDm mags are 'high capacity' and if I start shooting at matches it would be a great platform to build up.
 #100177  by Boots

Piazza wrote:So hypothetically speaking, if you were to get pulled over in Maryland on your way to a match how could you so prove it was for sport and thus be excluded from the law? I'm curious because my XDm mags are 'high capacity' and if I start shooting at matches it would be a great platform to build up.
Unless the law has changed, (AIRC) MD law merely prohibits the sale or purchase of higher capacity magazines in MD. Therefore, what residents currently possess are legal. Non-residents can bring (transport) to a MD range their higher capacity magazines but must also return home with these same magazines.

That's my understanding, so if anyone knows different please jump in and correct me.
 #100178  by knohope

Now with a little time to respond, I'll elaborate on my last post.

I did not mean to insinuate that any sport could nullify federal, state or local laws. Obviously that is not the case.

Concealment without permit; I equate it to something along the lines of, you tackle someone to the ground on Main St. that = assault. If you tackle someone on the football field, within the rules, no problem. I suppose that if one of these matches were to be raided by the police, they could charge any or all of the 30+ competitors, but that seems unlikely. Some of these matches even have local LEO as participants. Also, IDPA is a global association with matches held in every state in the US as well as more than fifty foreign countries. Exposure is fairly high.

As far as magazine capacity; the Maryland Firearms Safety Act of 2013 only made it illegal to buy, sell or transfer magazines with capacity over 10 rounds after October 1, 2013. Everything prior was grandfathered in. As long as you leave with the same items you entered, no problem. In states where there is a complete ban on magazines of certain capacity, there are no exceptions. Those matches have to be run with certain rule modifications.
 #100179  by Piazza

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense. Very good to know considering my girlfriends family owns property that we shoot at occasionally and until now I was planning to not bring my pistol.