Login    

Register FAQ  •  Search    

· Home ·   Forums ·  Who Are We? ·  What is Open Carry? ·  CCDW Process ·  FAQ ·  Contact ·  Terms ·

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: Transporting Firearms
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:34 pm 

phlydude wrote:
He mentioned it would be unloaded, trigger locked and cased.
How is that illegal?
Because it's against PA law and he is not covered under the federal FOPA.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:39 pm 

phlydude wrote:
.... Besides, if he is leaving DE and going into PA and gets stopped, would the cop ask if he was coming directly from his home? ....
Actually, the question would be whether he was going directly to the shooting range at that time of day, instead of to work. Stopping off anywhere while on the way to the range would be illegal under PA law.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:05 am 

I'll apologize if it's already discussed and I missed it. If I am exiting my vehicle (lets assume going to the mall where you cannot OC), does my firearm have to be locked in the trunk and unloaded? Obviously, no one wants to keep a firearm visible in a locked (or unlocked) vehicle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:16 am 

Legally, I don't know of any law prohibiting the visible storage of a gun, load or otherwise. However, that's asking for a broken window and a stolen gun. Sadly, there aren't a lot of gun lock options for pistols like there are for rifles/shotguns. If it's going in your trunk, I would err on the side of caution and unload it. Just be cautious when you reload and re-holster to not scare folks walking by.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:25 am 

I have 4 kids so oc in a car for me is no good, If the mag is empty and I put it in the trunk in its original gun case (is that ok) if so where do you keep the bullets question may sound dumb. As the world is I want to oc without any trouble but also want to transport with my kids in the car sorry if this was asked I'm new to here and didn't see it if it was thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:35 am 

Starksmoney44 wrote:
I have 4 kids so oc in a car for me is no good, If the mag is empty and I put it in the trunk in its original gun case (is that ok) if so where do you keep the bullets question may sound dumb. As the world is I want to oc without any trouble but also want to transport with my kids in the car sorry if this was asked I'm new to here and didn't see it if it was thank you.

Welcome to the forum! Whereabouts are you from? I'm in the Newark area but we have members in lower DE and even PA.

For transporting in the vehicle's trunk, casing it unloaded and then storing the ammo separately (also in the trunk) will keep you within the law. Some states consider the magazine to be a part of the firearm regardless if it is loaded into the firearm or not. I do not believe that DE is one of those states but others that are more knowledgeable will chime in on that.

Curiousity leads me to inquire, why do you prefer to transport your firearm in the trunk? I understand that you have children in the vehicle... are they younger/older? ...with all 4 kids does this cramp space putting them in close proximity to the firearm? ...do you not have a well secured holster in a spot away from the kids like on the dashboard? I only ask b/c there are a few options that you can utilize to transport a holstered and secure firearm in the cab of the vehicle that will keep you within the legalities of the law as well as keeping your kids out of reach of the firearm and out of harms way. If you're interested in discussing such options, we'd be happy to do so. Matter of fact, we have a get together next week and would love to have ya come hang out with us!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14