Discussion about specific topics of Delaware law. Suggest new topics of discussion in General Discussion forum.
 #3158  by Gotarheels03

Sec. 70-2. Weapons generally.

(4) Unloaded and cased. Carrying of any type of gun whatsoever, when unloaded and properly cased, to or from any licensed gallery or range or to or from an area where hunting is allowed by law. This subsection shall not limit the permitted carrying of guns allowed by subsection (b)(5) of this section.

My question is what constitutes "properly cased?" I usually just throw my pistols & ammo in an unlocked range bag and put it in the trunk. Do I technically need to be putting it in something lockable while traveling in-state with the guns in the trunk?

As far as "loaded" is concerned I'll assume they mean that a loaded mag in the gun means it's loaded regardless of whether a round is chambered?
 #3159  by Wynder

Gotarheels03 wrote:My question is what constitutes "properly cased?" I usually just throw my pistols & ammo in an unlocked range bag and put it in the trunk. Do I technically need to be putting it in something lockable while traveling in-state with the guns in the trunk?
There's nothing in the statute about the case being locked, so I'd say no. My best guess is that a bag that's meant to serve or could be improvised to serve as a storage container for a firearm would be serviceable and fulfill that requirement.
As far as "loaded" is concerned I'll assume they mean that a loaded mag in the gun means it's loaded regardless of whether a round is chambered?
I'd agree with this. Generally, "loaded" will need to be defined by the statutes. If it's not, it would have to be defined by relevant case law, but I'd say your assessment is a safe bet. Some states call a weapon loaded, even if the magazine is out of the pistol, but is still holding cartridges. Don't wanna see that here. ;/
 #6877  by Jacques

Wynder wrote: My firearm is always loaded, starting after I pull it out of the safe and before I put it into my holster and stays that way until I get home at night and put it away.
So you unload it before you put it in the safe?

KiB
 #6878  by Wynder

Pistol unloaded in the safe with a full magazine right next to it.
 #6879  by myopicvisionary

My pistol is always loaded except when cleaning it, during a slide lock reload and when required to show clear during some matches.
 #34814  by PAFirefighter

Hey all. I read all the info in this post and some other posts as well. I just want to confirm a few things if possible. I live in PA. I have a LTCF here, which is not good for DE. I do have a Utah course under my belt, and once finger printed I'll be sending that in - so this will eventually be a moot point. If I do not have a License/Permit to CC in DE, and I am driving from PA to a friends house in Wilmington, Newark, etc., am I right in assuming it's okay for me to do so as long as I leave my Glock in a holster on my dash or on the passenger seat of my truck or Jeep? Then, when exiting my vehicle, take my Glock, place it openly on my belt, and walk with it openly in view (typical OC). Thanks guys & gals!
 #34815  by GatorDude

That's what is recommended. Has not been tested though. Best info available.
 #34816  by PAFirefighter

GatorDude wrote:That's what is recommended. Has not been tested though. Best info available.
Gotcha. I just drove to Wilmington, picked up my friend, drove around Wilmington, Hockessin, Centerville, etc., then back to Wilmington to drop her off, then back to PA. Glock on the dash in my holster the whole time. No issues but I didn't do anything traffic related to draw attention :)
 #39976  by KEVIN

I'm thinking about screwing the belt piece that holds a serpa holster to the front of my cup holder that rests below my console but on the floor right above the tranny. It will be in plain site. any thoughts? Because it's not on the seat or dash. And it would be very secure due to it being screwed to the front of the cup holder.

BT, i have an '02 silverado. In case you didn't know where I'm talking about putting the thing.

thoughts please....
 #39977  by Boots

KEVIN wrote:I'm thinking about screwing the belt piece that holds a serpa holster to the front of my cup holder that rests below my console but on the floor right above the tranny. ....
Probably not a good idea. Sorry.