Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #101031  by Boots

pick_six wrote:... i am of the opinion that someone working for the ag's office and giving out advice should probably give out GOOD ADVICE! and when they don't, i think it would be interesting to have their mistakes recorded for posterity.
The Office of the AG does not and will not give legal advice. That's what lawyers are for.

Whatever you may hear will be PERSONAL OPINION and not legal advice. If you call and happen to speak to someone that is anti-gun it's not unusual for them to offer their personal opinion and claim your rights will be violated and abused by cops throwing you to the ground and grinding your face into the sidewalk for 'officer safety', but remember that's 'opinion' and not legal advice. They're just trying to coerce you into doing things their way, regardless of what your rights are.
 #101039  by dave_in_delaware

To expand on what Boots said, has anyone ever emailed a question to the AG's Office? I have. You know what they say in their email? To CALL them and ask.

The Attorney General's Office will NEVER give you written answers to any of your questions. They simply will NOT provide the public with written "evidence" to their stance on anything, clarification to laws/codes, acceptable procedures, etc.

Why?

Like Boots said, it's opinion. Once someone writes their opinion down (i.e. answering your question via email), it'll be "etched in stone" so to say, and the public will take it to heart and treat it as law and what should happen or how to do something always from now on no matter what the situation.

Sad thing is, we all WANT to know specific answers to our questions. We all WANT to know proper legal procedures. We all WANT to properly obey the laws. But yet the AG only gives us their OPINION and not LEGAL ADVICE.

Makes no sense to me. To ask an entity like the AG's Office for legal stances or procedures, and only receive opinions in return. WTF? It's a sick irony.

All you can do is call them, ask your question(s), and write down what they say. And pray that you don't get some anti-gun idiot trying to interfere with and discourage you from your right to carry.
 #101094  by MrCoolDale

Nothing that was said by the person you spoke with in the AG's office was unlawful. He told you to expect such behavior from police officers, not him. Had you recorded the conversation, it would mean nothing. He is not giving you legal council, nor is he suppressing your rights in any manner. He may have went a little over the top and said more than necessary, but he wasn't incorrect.

I wouldn't expect that you'd be detained at this point in time, but it's not like it hasn't happened before. We have board members (myself included) that have been detained, cuffed, and sat in a holding cell while the police tried to figure out how to charge them. Nothing has gone beyond this... yet. It is also worth noting that it has not happened recently to anyone that I know of.

I hope this will show that you can't trust the police or AG with legal advice; for that, seek a lawyer.
 #101121  by Dugan

MrCoolDale wrote:Nothing that was said by the person you spoke with in the AG's office was unlawful. He told you to expect such behavior from police officers, not him. Had you recorded the conversation, it would mean nothing. He is not giving you legal council, nor is he suppressing your rights in any manner. He may have went a little over the top and said more than necessary, but he wasn't incorrect.

I wouldn't expect that you'd be detained at this point in time, but it's not like it hasn't happened before. We have board members (myself included) that have been detained, cuffed, and sat in a holding cell while the police tried to figure out how to charge them. Nothing has gone beyond this... yet. It is also worth noting that it has not happened recently to anyone that I know of.

I hope this will show that you can't trust the police or AG with legal advice; for that, seek a lawyer.
Yea prob because they realized how much money they were losing to wrongful lawsuits...

Glad it seems like they have given better training on this.