Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #100977  by bwelsh

I wish I had taped it but I suppose a lawless AG or office representative who dislikes firearms would be of interest to very few people in Delaware. We get what we elect. It is not like a violation of ones civil rights when pertaining to the 2nd amendment would get Eric Holder and the 'Justice' Department up here. Maybe the AG/employee would be so embarrassed by the misinformation that they told me that even if taping the conversation was illegal he would not admit it was him? Prosecute a gun owner vs. protect his ego? That is a tough one to guess though. So to the people who have been hassled... how did it go down and how long did it happen for? Did they take you to a police station or just take the gun, ask you questions, give the gun back and let you go on your way?
 #100979  by NCC

bwelsh wrote:I wish I had taped it but I suppose a lawless AG or office representative who dislikes firearms would be of interest to very few people in Delaware. We get what we elect. It is not like a violation of ones civil rights when pertaining to the 2nd amendment would get Eric Holder and the 'Justice' Department up here. Maybe the AG/employee would be so embarrassed by the misinformation that they told me that even if taping the conversation was illegal he would not admit it was him? Prosecute a gun owner vs. protect his ego? That is a tough one to guess though. So to the people who have been hassled... how did it go down and how long did it happen for? Did they take you to a police station or just take the gun, ask you questions, give the gun back and let you go on your way?
Trudat. Or as I like to say, Delaware, a Republican state led by a Democratic county.
 #100980  by astro_wanabe

dean wrote:Here's a nice state-by-state summary, astro.

http://www.rcfp.org/rcfp/orders/docs/CANWETAPE.pdf

A federal court also upheld that even under DE's privacy law an individual may record your own conversations (so any conversation to which you are a party.)
Thanks. I've been finding conflicting info all over the place, some listing us as a 1 party consent state and others as 2 party, very few places with any references though, like they just copied / pasted all around the web. My apologies if I'm wrong.
 #100985  by Dugan

DE is single consent, view my threads ive started, one of these is this exact question with references.

If you would have taped that, you could have held it for a rainy day and waiting for another civil rights violation to occur and pass it along. Talk about a smack in the face.
 #100993  by dave_in_delaware

In all my daily open carrying when I lived in DE, not once was I detained, thrown to the ground, or anything. I have passed by LEO's who saw me carrying and they said nothing (or gave me the "nod".) I have also been pulled over by the police twice, with my gun on the passenger seat, and again, not once was my gun ever mentioned. Heck, even after my self-defense shooting incident where I used my gun on someone, never was I thrown to the ground or harassed or anything. Not even cuffed when the police came to my house. No problems there.

I've called the AG's Office before, with similar questions, and was "discouraged" from OC as well, but not with such extreme threats of being thrown to the ground or needing a lawyer and a hefty wallet for court issues.

I believe you just got the wrong person at the wrong time who projected his own anti-OC agenda onto you. Don't let it worry or discourage you.
 #101003  by bwelsh

georgie c wrote:for the real truth about recording phone conversations , I think one call to the AG office would instantly clear things up 4 u :lol:
One is better off getting info from strangers on the internet it seems :)
 #101005  by pick_six

bwelsh,

my apologies for diverting your thread down the recording road. it wasn't my intention to derail ya. i was merely pondering getting "the representative of justice, law, and the interest of the people" on the record while they give out bad advice.

i am of the opinion that someone working for the ag's office and giving out advice should probably give out GOOD ADVICE! and when they don't, i think it would be interesting to have their mistakes recorded for posterity.

sometimes i am so naive. ;) sorry about derailing.
bwelsh wrote:
georgie c wrote:for the real truth about recording phone conversations , I think one call to the AG office would instantly clear things up 4 u :lol:
One is better off getting info from strangers on the internet it seems :)