Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #102647  by M.Brown

Hello everyone, it's been awhile since I've been on here, but, now I have questions soooo, here goes. I usually open carry here in Delaware, however, I was working in Maryland for the last couple of years, and I know that is a huge no no there, so I never carried to work. Recently I started working in Pennsylvania, and found out they are also an open carry state. Now, as a Delaware resident can I open carry in pa? I saw in the pa laws that you needed a permit to carry in Philadelphia, but I'm not in philly.
 #102648  by Boots

You need to get your DE CCDW and then a PA LTCF.

There's no driving in PA with a gun in your car except in very limited circumstances. Unfortunately, driving to work is not one of them.
 #102649  by phlydude

Open carry in PA is legal without ANY CCW
Open carry in a vehicle in PA is illegal without ANY state CCW (having DE CCW allows vehicle OC in PA outside Philadelphia county)
Open carry in Philadelphia county is illegal without a PA CCW
 #102650  by Boots

phlydude wrote:... Open carry in a vehicle in PA is ....
You need to remove 'open' from that sentence. In PA law, there is no distinction between open or concealed carry in a vehicle. Merely having the gun anywhere in the car requires a license/permit. Right now, the requirement is still a valid license or permit from ANY other state, but that might change in the future.
 #102661  by Kuntryboy816

Boots wrote:
phlydude wrote:... Open carry in a vehicle in PA is ....
You need to remove 'open' from that sentence. In PA law, there is no distinction between open or concealed carry in a vehicle. Merely having the gun anywhere in the car requires a license/permit. Right now, the requirement is still a valid license or permit from ANY other state, but that might change in the future.
It's been a little while since I checked the PA code but correct me if I'm wrong, can't you have a firearm in your vehicle as long as it is trunked, unloaded, cased and locked w/ ammo separate?
 #102667  by Glockamole

Pa is like nj with transport. To and from range and that stuff and its unloaded locked in the trunk. If you have a valid carry permit from any state you can carry inside your car loaded so you don't need to follow the to and from rules. Once you get out of the car you can open carry like in Delaware. If you have say a utah permit you should be good on driving part. Even better a delaware permit then apply for a non resident pa permit. Im from nj and will drive to pa with my firearm in my trunk. Cross the border then load up and holster and get back in the car. This is ok with my Utah permit but since pa doesn't honor Utah for conceal carry I must open carrt but utah lets me keep it in the car. Just need to avoid Philadelphia. So if you have no permits from any state then you can't carry in pa at all since they have strict transport laws. It would be against the law to drive from delaware to say walmart take your firearm from your trunk and open carry since that is not in the transportation laws.