Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #102972  by BigRob

I am new to this forum and haven't heard any stories about anyone trying to grab your weapon, from your holster. Has this happened to anyone? I'm sure I could knock someone flat, before they could get my pistol. Still, I am 55 now and would like to avoid any such incidents.
Thanks,
Rob
 #102981  by Owen

Only time anyone has grabbed my pistol was when we tested the retention with it unloaded in my holster. It was a lot harder than you'd think, they were not successful. All I had to do was turn my body and their draw attempt was foiled. Modern retention holsters are pretty good. That said it is a good idea to keep something on you off side that you could use to protect your pistol. I have my EDC flashlight in my left front pocket so I can put my strong hand on my pistol to hold it in the holster and then draw the flashlight with my off hand to whack them on the fingers, collar bone, etc.

That's an excellent question to ask because we should all be prepared to defend if we open carry. Keeping our firearm safe with us is our duty IMHO.
 #102983  by BigRob

Thanks, that puts me at ease some. I'm going to look up retention holsters now.
 #102997  by astro_wanabe

As Owen pointed out, a good retention holster and training in weapon retention are important, and so is keeping your situational awareness up (in "condition yellow"). Seeing the threat coming gives you time to defend yourself. For non-cops it's exceedingly rare though. Cops are more at risk since they intentionally go hands-on with suspected and known violent criminals, mentally ill / suicidal people, etc.
 #103015  by Amy Blackthorn

Carrying for several years now. Never had an issue with it. I highly recommend "Unarmed defense" class from Center Mass Combat Tactics. 8 hour class and 2/3 weapon retention practice (with blue guns). There's also a Defensive Pen section, some grappling and more.
http://www.centermasscombattactics.com/ ... ng-classes
 #103019  by BigRob

Thanks, that's something to consider, when my back is feeling better. Cortisone shots may be in my near future. I can't sit for long, outside of my mega recliner.
 #103023  by stephpd

It's a common internet myth. Just like the one that you'll be the first one they take out. For all my time looking I've only found 2 instances of someone taking the gun. One was possibly a set up as the person was trying to get concealed carry laws passed in one state. His complaint was that if he could have concealed the gun it wouldn't have been stolen. The second happened within 24 hours of the guy purchasing a gun and might have been a false report while trying to avoid the straw purchase laws.(by reporting it stolen)

As for them shooting OCers I haven't seen one report of that.

Now, with cops that arrest violent criminals both happen too often. But we are under no obligation to try and arrest.

What some people have noticed is that suspicious characters seem to leave and look for easier prey. No sense in dying for some cash or a gun.

Which brings up one of the things we talk about and that is situational awareness. Col Jeff Cooper came up with the color code for this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper
http://www.policeone.com/police-trainer ... awareness/

Biggest thing is to stay in yellow. (relaxed alert) White is where far too many people spend their time thinking they'll always be safe and don't pay attention to the world around them. Orange is after scanning and something seems off and you raise your awareness to this level and start planning action. Red is where you act. When first learning about this many end up in orange. This taxes your system and can't be maintained for long periods.

Once you get the hang of it you'll wonder how you spent so much of your life in white. Yellow is where you should be while awake. Never so engrossed in what you're doing that you're not paying attention to things around you. Matter of fact the only time I'm in white anymore is when I'm asleep. And except for when first practicing this I've only been in orange a few times for a short time.

Situational awareness if practiced all the time will keep anyone from getting close to your gun. Even if they get close you've already shifted to orange and are prepared for what might happen next.
 #103057  by BigRob

This makes sense to me. I lived in Yellow for years. I was a bouncer for over 7 years and worked in juvenile detention centers for over 4. At first, I was overly cautious and at times, I was in white, until something broke out, then I was in red. I am always keeping an eye on cars that seem to be following me and note when they veer off. You make a lot of enemies, when you are a bouncer and working with troubled youth. The same went for me, when I started hunting. I started out in orange.