Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #103071  by Marine1

I have a full sized crew cab 4x4 pickup, so of course there is no trunk, and I would not consider putting my pistol in a tool box in the body if I had one. At the present I have under the rear seat storage compartments, in order to access this compartment, you have to physically lift up the seat bottom over the compartment that you wish to access. I already use this compartment to store targets so that I will have them when going to the range.

My question is this, in Delaware, am I legal if I store my unloaded 1911 in a gun sock in this storage compartment and lock a couple of loaded magazines in the glove compartment or console. Next question, if I do this and should be stopped for any reason, would I be required to disclose this to the officer. I would have to be some kind of contortionist to access this compartment while securely buckled in the driver's seat.

I plan to apply for my concealed carry in the near future ( should have done it a long time ago ) and if I do so, this question would be a mute one, however with things like they are was looking for the next best option in the meantime.

Thanks for anyhelp
 #103072  by Kuntryboy816

Why not just keep the 1911 on the front seat next to you... holstered... loaded... mags loaded... cocked, locked and ready to rock?! If you have the need to defend yourself, it does you no good under the back seat. IMO that would be the way to carry in a vehicle unless your heading out of state for any reason.

OC of pistols is perfectly legal in a vehicle in Delaware. I think that in order to err on the side of caution and not to run afoul of breaking any CC laws, your pistol would need to be cased...even under the seat and ammo boxed and cased separately.

BTW... welcome to the forum! :D
 #103073  by Marine1

Kuntryboy816 wrote:Why not just keep the 1911 on the front seat next to you... holstered... loaded... mags loaded... cocked, locked and ready to rock?! If you have the need to defend yourself, it does you no good under the back seat. IMO that would be the way to carry in a vehicle unless your heading out of state for any reason.

OC of pistols is perfectly legal in a vehicle in Delaware. I think that in order to err on the side of caution and not to run afoul of breaking any CC laws, your pistol would need to be cased...even under the seat and ammo boxed and cased separately.
The thing about carrying loaded,holstered, cocked and locked on the seat beside you is, what do you do when you stop and get out say at a store, or the bank or whatever? I know that some are going to say strap in on and carry it open, however probably not in the bank. I was looking for a way to have it available in the shortest time, all of the time, while not having it laying there as an open invitation. I figure that in approximately 60 seconds, I could have it out from the seat loaded and ready if I carried as I suggested.
 #103074  by David

When you get out you take it with you. Not sure why you wouldn't OC in a bank.
 #103076  by stephpd

Marine1 wrote: The thing about carrying loaded,holstered, cocked and locked on the seat beside you is, what do you do when you stop and get out say at a store, or the bank or whatever? I know that some are going to say strap in on and carry it open, however probably not in the bank. I was looking for a way to have it available in the shortest time, all of the time, while not having it laying there as an open invitation. I figure that in approximately 60 seconds, I could have it out from the seat loaded and ready if I carried as I suggested.
Yeah, we're an open carry site. We'd recommend you carry it everywhere it's legal. So, when you get out of the car it goes in your holster. If open carry bothers you get a CCDW.

If the seat, and it flopping around, bother you many have come up with ways to attach holsters to the dash.

Because it's not like stores or banks don't get robbed. Or thier customers, including in the parking lots. And 60 seconds, verses 2-3 seconds? 'When seconds count...................' Are you going to ask the bad guys permission when wasting that much time? They're busy guys and won't wait.

#103084  by Kuntryboy816

Marine1 wrote:The thing about carrying loaded,holstered, cocked and locked on the seat beside you is, what do you do when you stop and get out say at a store, or the bank or whatever? I know that some are going to say strap in on and carry it open, however probably not in the bank. I was looking for a way to have it available in the shortest time, all of the time, while not having it laying there as an open invitation. I figure that in approximately 60 seconds, I could have it out from the seat loaded and ready if I carried as I suggested.
The shortest time would be while carrying whether OC or legally CC. Like others have said, 60 seconds is a looooooooong time, and the probability is you'll need it is more outside of the vehicle than in it. If you're exiting the vehicle and choose not to carry it THEN unload and secure it. If you go into the bank OC and they say no, THEN I would secure it in the vehicle as you were describing previously. I have yet to go into a store that has asked me to leave on account of my being armed. My bank, Delone FCU, has a no firearms sign on the door. I CC if I go inside and they have a mantrap w/ metal detector there. I set it off every time yet they still open the door for me. I ahve yet to attempt to OC there to see if they will allow it. I have seen an armed guard there, in uniform but he was on personal business and he was OC.
 #103098  by cslade454

Sorry No one answered your question. I understand not everyone is comfortable open carrying in public. It does not make any difference if its Loaded or unloaded. No concealed weapons in the cab. Don't lock ammo/mags in the glove box/console either. I would not recommend disclosing you have a weapon. If asked I would tell the truth or not answer.