Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #103372  by FLCL2

So to everyone here, do you have some form of hearing protection while you're carrying, or do you just accept the trade of some minor hearing damage in exchange for your life in the rare event you would need to discharge your firearm?

I can't find anything that would protect your ears/allow normal hearing without screaming that you're armed - although OCers probably don't care/ have this problem.

There are some plugs from Surefire, and Etymotic Research sells a pair of $400 plugs that are like miniaturized Howard Leight Impacts but that price.
 #103373  by pick_six

If something happens and I reach the conclusion that it's prudent to draw on snd/or shoot someone, the noise from some shots is the least of my worries. But that's just me, others may feel a little differently.

That said, I guess a person could get some of those super trendy noise canceling electronic muffs for about $30. Caldwell is one of many brand names. They work well, pass along most ambient sound, some let you hook up an iPod, and chicks dig 'em.
 #103374  by astro_wanabe

No, I don't have hearing protection with me 24/7. It just isn't practical. The odds of even having a chance to put the ear pro on is slim to none in a defensive situation so I just accept that I will have a bit of hearing damage should I ever need to fire. I do have a set of electronic muffs for the range that I store next to my home defense rifle as there's a better chance of having time to don the muffs before checking out a "bump in the night", but they stay at home unless I'm going to the range. It would be nice to also have a suppressor on the HD gun but alas that isn't legal in Delaware.
 #103375  by Owen

I don't wear any. If it does happen and it is outside it won't be as bad.
astro_wanabe wrote:I do have a set of electronic muffs for the range that I store next to my home defense rifle as there's a better chance of having time to don the muffs before checking out a "bump in the night"
^+1 to this. Inside it will be very loud and deafen you when you need it most. Also an amplified gives you better hearing as you investigate.
 #103376  by whatevah

Stop! Stop! I have a gun! Hold on while I put in my ear plugs so I can defend myself!

The amplified muffs are cool for home purposes in that "bump in the night" scenario, but otherwise hearing protection is the farthest thing from your mind if you have to draw your gun.
 #103378  by NCC

FLCL2 wrote:So to everyone here, do you have some form of hearing protection while you're carrying, or do you just accept the trade of some minor hearing damage in exchange for your life in the rare event you would need to discharge your firearm?
Yes to the latter part of your question as asked.

I would also offer that you would want to be fully aware of anything going on at that time and would not want your hearing impaired by plugs, muffs, etc. This is the same reason that the military and law enforcement only use hearing protection during training.
 #103380  by pick_six

dude!!! i swear i typed up something just like this... but in the effort to be "nicer" i deleted it! ;)

it's part of my new year's revolution. :)
whatevah wrote:Stop! Stop! I have a gun! Hold on while I put in my ear plugs so I can defend myself!

The amplified muffs are cool for home purposes in that "bump in the night" scenario, but otherwise hearing protection is the farthest thing from your mind if you have to draw your gun.
 #103385  by Surface Dragon

I have earplugs on me at all times but only to protect my ears from the loud noises of children and musical instruments. I'm a musician and the sound of children (high pitched screams and crying) does something to me in a negative almost unbearable way.
 #103386  by FLCL2

Thanks for the replies. I figured it wouldn't be too practical lol. @pick_six being "nicer" doesn't mean losing your sense of humor! by all means :D

I also never knew police didn't use ear pro on duty. I always assumed their electronic ear headsets protected them or something.
 #103387  by myopicvisionary

I keep electronic hearing muffs next to my rollout kit should I hear something go bump in the night. I do keep a pair in my vehicle should I have to dispatch an injured deer. But for normal carry, I do not.