Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #103953  by Bullpup

I recently met someone who carries concealed (so he says) in PA, and he told me the first 2 rounds he carries are rubber bullets! He says that if he needed to use his firearm in self defense, and the first 2 rounds didn't stop the attack, he would look better in the eyes of the law for attempting a less-than-lethal solution before firing that 3rd round.

What if you needed that 1st round to be something that wouldn't just bounce off your attacker? Maybe a non-lethal weapon other than your firearm would be an option if the situation doesn't require deadly force? I don't know anything about rubber bullets, except hearing of police using them on the news a few times. Are they something you can buy? Would they feed reliably? Are they deadly at close range?

This just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I'm curious what others think.
 #103954  by whatevah

I think they're better called less-lethal vs less-than-lethal. As such, they're still lethal and if you're going to fire at somebody, you're better off firing hollow-point lead bullets vs rubber ones. I've always heard the theory that if you are in such fear for your life that you need to pull your weapon, then you better be ready to kill. Relying on a rubber bullet to save your conscience... bad idea.

Perhaps, the best argument is from a tactical viewpoint. The time spent firing two rounds and waiting to see if they had the desired effect... could be enough time for that bad guy to kill you.

Just my two cents...

I dunno how well they work, but a quick search found this site: http://www.conceptsinammunition.com/Pis ... ts/9mm.htm they offer rubber bullets with different powder charges in a variety of calibers.
 #103957  by NCC

My personal opinion? He does not have the cojones to pull the trigger so this makes him feel better.

Ask Dave if the first 2 being rubber would have helped him out.
 #103965  by ptlion

If I'm drawing my weapon, it's already a life/death situation! The last thing I need is giving someone else the advantage in those circumstances. Survey says....Naaaah!!!! :sparring:
 #103970  by Red Alert

ptlion wrote:If I'm drawing my weapon, it's already a life/death situation! The last thing I need is giving someone else the advantage in those circumstances. Survey says....Naaaah!!!! :sparring:

This is my exact thinking. I've already told the wife and kids this. If I have to draw, it's all over with. Same thing I was taught in class. Never draw unless you feel your in danger and have to protect your life or the life of a family member...
 #104045  by stephpd

The rules of engagement for self defense are already very limiting. If you think you need to pull a gun on someone you've already crossed that line. That's why you don't give warning shots but shoot (COM) to stop the threat. And keep shooting until the thread is stopped. Rubber bullets wasting valuable time and space in a small sized magazine.

Bet he doesn't keep one in the chamber too. I'd never consider a rubber bullet a 'live' round. Let alone wasting the time to get rid of those all while hell is breaking out all around you.

Why not just carry a starting pistol?
Joe Biden recommends similar stupidity.