Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #104023  by johnpuleo

I am preparing to move to Delaware. I currently have a concealed permit in PA, but that will be moot once I reside in DE. I intend to apply for a Concealed Carrying permit asap upon beginning residence.
In the meantime, I would like to wrap my head around how open carry works in DE. Is it as simple as my wearing an openly visible holstered pistol as I traverse through my normal lawful activities, such as going shopping, walking down streets, etc.? Have persons who have done this in DE frightened the public resulting in phone calls to 911 or the police, and if so, what have the outcomes been?
John
 #104026  by stephpd

Yes it's that simple.
And no, the liberals aren't calling the cops.
 #104032  by dave_in_delaware

johnpuleo wrote:Is it as simple as my wearing an openly visible holstered pistol as I traverse through my normal lawful activities, such as going shopping, walking down streets, etc.?
Yes. When I lived in Delaware I open carried daily: to the grocery store, bank, gas station, restaurants, at home, etc. Wherever I was lawfully allowed to carry, I did.
johnpuleo wrote:Have persons who have done this in DE frightened the public resulting in phone calls to 911 or the police, and if so, what have the outcomes been?
Surprisingly, 99.5% of the general public doesn't even notice. The rest usually assume you're LEO, or might ask you questions out of curiosity. But I had never had the police called on me individually.

We (members of our DELOC group) meet monthly at restaurants during colder months. Of the 86 consecutive months of doing this, only once did someone call the cops on us. And even then, it was a non-issue. The police showed up, came in, watched us for a little while, and left. They didn't even engage us in questions or conversation.