Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #105356  by hukuzatuna

I drive a Jeep with no doors or back window. Ordinarily, when I open carry, I would put the weapon on the passenger seat, but that seems ... ill advised, since a quick left turn would toss the weapon out of the vehicle. I have been wedging the gun between the handbrake and the cup holders (I'll take a picture and post it later), but I'm concerned that is not sufficiently "in plain sight" inside the vehicle.

I use a 5.11 Tactical Thumbdrive OWB holster from Blade-Tech, and I'm considering going to the trouble and expense of installing a mounting point on top of my dashboard in the Jeep. Then I can just slide the holster out of the paddle and mount it on the dash for when I'm driving.

My question is, would this really be necessary, or is it sufficient to have it on the center console?

Cheers,
Phil
 #105359  by Kuntryboy816

Ah, a fellow Jeeper! Before I obtained my CCDW, I ran into the issue of where to secure my pistol while driving as well. I bought a nylon Bulldog holster from Xring and tried a few different placements. 2 were mounted to the dash and 1 was clipped to the center console. The console was the first place but there was doubt as to whether it was visible enough so I nixed that idea. I have pictures somewhere out on the interwebz so if I can find them I'll post them here.

A temporary solution would be to use the belt clip on the holster and secure it to the passenger seat via use of the seatbelt... or obtain a 2nd nylon holster to do the afore mentioned.
 #105360  by Kuntryboy816

This was the final placement that I had for over a year and it rode very well. The retention strap was very easy to disengage and the pistol slid in and out of the holster w/o any hangups. The only issue I had was that the metal snap started rusting b/c I frequently had no doors/top on the Jeep so it was exposed to the elements.

#105361  by Owen

I think Kuntry has you covered but I'd just add my input that whatever holster you get make sure it has retention.

I use a cheap gunmetal grey Serpa I got off Amazon for ~$20. I cut down the paddle and then velcro'd it to the dash.
 #105363  by Kuntryboy816

1st attempt (immediately scrapped)

2nd mounted position (lasted about 4-5 months)... I am not left handed but I got pretty good drawing this way. Trying to unbutton the retention snap was awkward.

Here's a good thread on the subject:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31&hilit=vehicle+OC
 #105443  by dave_in_delaware

I'm not so sure I'd want my loaded firearm so close to (and easily accessed from outside) the driver's door window. :shock: