Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #75  by dave_in_delaware

I wanted to ask the question to everyone here:

When OCing in your car, which according to the AG's office means it's unholstered and either on the passenger seat or up on the dashboard (i.e. in plain sight), where do you put your gun?

On the seat is fine only if:
1. You don't have a passenger w/ you, AND
2. You don't have to stop suddenly :shock:

On the dashboard is fine only if:
1. There's a perfect "hole" or groove for the weapon to rest snugly inside, or
2. You have a "spare" holster permanently fastened TO the dash, AND
3. You never go around a curve faster than 5 mph

Either way, with normal driving conditions (and assuming your gun isn't secured in a dash-mounted holster), your gun could easily end up on the floor, sliding around the dash (bouncing around off the windshield), even sliding across the dash during a left-hand turn and pointing straight at your passenger.... all of which are totally NOT cool.

What has anyone here done to solve these problems?? What works for you?

(and I know nobody simply keeps it holstered w/ the plan of, if stopped, quickly unholstering it and putting it on the seat/dash then. Never mind the cop will see you fiddling around w/ something and become VERY suspicious)
 #77  by Mr. Bruce

I happen to have a nice cup holder right in the middle of the two front seats. It's open and forward enough so I feel the gun is in the open. 2007 subaru outback.
 #82  by Wynder

A lot of this can depend on how much you wish to "modify" your car.

If you can get a spare holster, you can either rig something up to the center console or, you can always attach heavy duty velcro to the dash and attach your spare holster to that. I also liked the idea that, if you don't have a passenger, you can hook the passenger seatbelt in and use a cheapie Uncle Mike's Holster with a standard clip to clip it onto the seatbelt.
 #115  by Wynder

myopicvisionary wrote:I'm working on a removable dash mounted Serpa holster.
Definitely post pictures when it's done.

I've also put up a starting post under the Delaware Law Discussion topic about transporting firearms in the state.

http://www.deloc.org/deloc/forums/viewt ... ?f=24&t=31
 #130  by myopicvisionary

Here are some pictures of my project so far. I removed the clip from an old clipboard by drilling out the rivets. My spare Serpa is on loan so I used an Uncle Mike's paddle holster I had laying around. Using a heat gun, I flattened out the paddle so I could mount it to the clipboard. The holster is fastened with four pop rivets. Total time for the build was 14 minutes! I open carried today and tried out the new car mount. Even without any non-skid surface on the bottom, the rig with pistol never moved. I will put some on as there is some chattering against the windshield at certain road speeds. I will probably paint the clipboard black to make the rig a bit more discreet. As you can see in one photo, any LEO approaching me during a car stop will see the pistol before me.

Oh, can someone explain how I can post my pictures? It doesn't want to let me copy and paste!
 #131  by Wynder

myopicvisionary wrote:Oh, can someone explain how I can post my pictures? It doesn't want to let me copy and paste!
You'll need to put them up on photobucket and use the IMG button above and paste in the URL to the pictures.
 #137  by Giustiniani

Those of you that were at the meeting on the 22nd saw where I put my Kimber. It sits right in front of me on the dash. It doesn't move and the only way it is going to slam back into me is if I take off SUPER fast and even then it's hooked on the slide lock. But, scratches up the dash REAL nice. Going to be a great point for resale 'Well you can easily put a pistol right here...'

Put a piece of cheap, thin leather I had in one of my drawers up there. Should do the trick.

Gwee
 #138  by myopicvisionary

Here are the pics. Disregard the reflection in the windshield, in normal driving it is barely noticeable. The clipboard definately needs to be painted black for a more discreet look.
 #139  by dave_in_delaware

Nice DIY job. :applause:

I only wish it wasn't so obvious, even if it was painted black.... although, it's best to be obvious for the LEO's, but the rest of the public can't miss it either! LOL.

I've actually been eye-ing up two "seams" in my dashboard, and wondering if they're at the perfect distance apart to receive some screws to mount a SERPA. Hmmm.....