Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
  by bsprout

Hey guys,
I live in maryland :banghead: I have my florida non-resident ccw. Ive cc a couple of times in delaware. I went to Dick's in christiana the other day and noticed a sign on the front door. It said all firearms and bows must be checked in. Curious i asked the knucklehead at the front door what the sign meant. He looked confused. I asked him "if" i was carrying they would want me to notify them? He said yes :roll: I thought that was WIERD. So i walked back to the fishing section and picked up a $130 dollar reel. While i was standing there the same guy came up and asked if i was a cop or if i had my permit to carry. I know im not obligated to show and i never told him i was carrying but i didnt want to have an argument or scene so i showed the permit to him. He walked away. Then i walked to the "gun section" to buy a box of .40 and 9mm. It was an old guy and he was eyeballing me. I just figured he was a dick. He slide the boxes to me and leaned over the counter. He said, "just so u know DE doesnt recognize florida permits". i was like WTF! These guys are running around talking about me? I never said i had a gun :? So i told him im not going to argue about it and i know my rights and that i didnt have to show the other guy my permit. I did as a courtesy. He said he knows cops that come in there all the time and the laws changed and De doesnt recognize my permit. I walked to the front, paid for my stuff and left. Lesson learned. Keep my mouth shut. Bet security cameras were focused on me! :D

Does anyone open carry there? any problems? Whats the sign for?
  by cappilot06

What I'm not sure of is if DE acknowledges non-resident permits of citizens of other states. The Florida license is certainly recognized by DE for Florida residents, but I'll have to check and see if DE recognizes the same Florida license from a non-resident of Florida. I believe they do and that this gentleman is wrong, but some input from others here to clarify my lack of knowledge would help.

BTW...I open carry in Dick's all the time with no issues and no need to inform them. It is their corporate policy that they follow the laws of the state they are in, and DE is an OC state. The letter from Dick's corporate office is posted, I believe, under the section of this forum dealing with pro- vs anti-OC businesses. Whether or not your permit is valid in DE is irrelevant if you are OC'ing. The sign you saw posted, from my understanding, is for firearms being brought in for returns or repair and they want them checked in when you first walk in.
  by scampbell3

Delaware does not distinguish between resident and non-resident permits from state that there are reciprocity agreements in place.

Out-of-state visitors with a CCDW permit from any of the 17 states that Delaware has reciprocity agreements with are valid in Delaware.

For additional info: Visit the Delaware AG's website:
http://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov/cri ... pons.shtml

Permits (resident/non-resident) are valid by reciprocity agreements from the following states:

1. Alaska
2. Arizona
3. Colorado
4. Florida
5. Kentucky
6. Maine
7. Michigan
8. Missouri
9. North Carolina
10. North Dakota
11. Ohio
12. Oklahoma
13. Texas
14. Utah
15. Tennessee
16. Virginia
17. West Virginia

Chip
  by bsprout

Thanks! I was pretty sure that they did recognize it but after he said that it made me kinda nervous. But i figured i knew more than the old guy at dick's.
  by scampbell3

bsprout wrote:Thanks! I was pretty sure that they did recognize it but after he said that it made me kinda nervous. But i figured i knew more than the old guy at dick's.
When it comes to firearms and firearm laws, trust no one. There is a lot of mis-information and opinion floating around. Always research and find out from reputable sources. Joe-bubba at the gun shop may be incorrect.

Chip
  by bsprout

I do look up laws just about everyday. But after he said that it made me second guess. I started thinking i missed something and that maybe delaware didnt recognize non-resident. Thank you for your help :pbjtime:
  by VWpilot

scampbell3 wrote:
bsprout wrote:Thanks! I was pretty sure that they did recognize it but after he said that it made me kinda nervous. But i figured i knew more than the old guy at dick's.
When it comes to firearms and firearm laws, trust no one. There is a lot of mis-information and opinion floating around. Always research and find out from reputable sources. Joe-bubba at the gun shop may be incorrect.
Chip
X 2.......excellent advice....... :applause: Always keep learning......and trust no one's information, without more research & citing a source. Many gun shop employee's don't know gun laws like they should. They just act like they know-it-all. I'd also say, if you carry concealed, conceal well & never tell anyone you're carrying, unless absolutely required by law. Know the states' gunlaws well that you carry in, & you should be fine. I am not a lawyer, just my opinion. Good luck & stay safe ~ Rob.
  by bsprout

X 2.......excellent advice....... :applause: Always keep learning......and trust no one's information, without more research & citing a source. Many gun shop employee's don't know gun laws like they should. They just act like they know-it-all. I'd also say, if you carry concealed, conceal well & never tell anyone you're carrying, unless absolutely required by law. Know the states' gunlaws well that you carry in, & you should be fine. I am not a lawyer, just my opinion. Good luck & stay safe ~ Rob. [/quote] Hey, i see you are in newark. Im right across the line in elkton. Most of my shopping takes place in DE. Thats one of the reasons i got the florida ccw. I have family in NC and TN so it works out good. I might move to DE and tell Md to piss off. Do you OC?
  by radnor

:pointlaugh: Of ALL the employees you HAD to run into, you ran into the ONE (1) they named the store after.
  by Jason

Well they sure picked a good name for the place lol