Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #62293  by jaconley

I was just wanting to know if there was any known laws that state you can not open carry when your vehicle windows are tinted. Is it ok to still have my firearm on the passanger seat?
 #62296  by Lascivious1

Thats a good question

But isnt there some infraction or something about tinted windows? i heard at the DMV they make you remove it before they let you pass inspection.

Personally i have never trusted anyone with tinted windows. for me it was and still is a sign you have something to hide. most people will say it's to block sun glare. but, we invented cool looking shades.

it's like the thugs that buy the retired cop cars at the auctions. lol all their doing is asking for more attention then they want.
 #62297  by astro_wanabe

IANAL. If you're carrying the firearm "on or about" your person and don't have a CCDW then the firearm can't be concealed. It would seem to be a factual question of whether the tinting on your specific vehicle was to such an extent that the firearm was no longer in plain view. Perhaps the judge would accept the DMV's maximum standard tinting levels as the threshold for what was concealed or not? I really don't know, and I wouldn't recommend being the test case. The judge could decide to legislate from the bench and create a new "test" for what's too tinted. Perhap's there's relevant case law? Seems like this would have come up in 4th ammendment cases by now (could the officer see the drugs through the window "in plain view" or did he conduct a warrantless search type of cases).
 #62298  by astro_wanabe

Lascivious1 wrote:But isnt there some infraction or something about tinted windows? i heard at the DMV they make you remove it before they let you pass inspection.
-Windshield can't be tinted in the "AS-1 portion" (below that little marking on the glass)
-Front side windows must pass minimum 70% of light through
-Windshield & front side window tinting must comply with "Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 205" in effect at time of vehicle manufacture
-Rear windows don't have a minimum level of transmission, but you must have left & right side mirrors
-You can get a waiver for darker tinting if needed due to medical condition.
Page 38: http://www.dmv.de.gov/forms/veh_serv_fo ... l_2012.pdf
 #62299  by Mr.Skellington

Lascivious1 wrote:Thats a good question

But isnt there some infraction or something about tinted windows? i heard at the DMV they make you remove it before they let you pass inspection.

That is if the tinting is darker than the State allows. There is a specific percentage that the front windows are allowed. The rear windows don't matter.

Personally i have never trusted anyone with tinted windows. for me it was and still is a sign you have something to hide. most people will say it's to block sun glare. but, we invented cool looking shades.

This sounds an awful lot like the line police use that says "If you have nothing to hide then why not let me search you, your car, your home etc." This logic only works if you do not value your privacy. I do not feel that its anyone's business but my own what I do in my private auto just like inside my private home which has curtains.

it's like the thugs that buy the retired cop cars at the auctions. lol all their doing is asking for more attention then they want.
 #62302  by bmel17

My windows are tinted. I still wear sun glasses too. It really helps from the side with a bad sun glare. Plus, I really enjoy my privacy. The big thing about tinting is "officer safety", they can't see you in the vehicle. My argument is they can see me just fine through the windshield.

I have had my windows tinted on every vehicle I have ever owned (at least ones equiped with windows~) and will continue to do so. I wouldn't think tint would be a conscious effort to conceal a weapon either.
 #62309  by Lascivious1

Mr.Skellington wrote:
Lascivious1 wrote:

This sounds an awful lot like the line police use that says "If you have nothing to hide then why not let me search you, your car, your home etc." This logic only works if you do not value your privacy. I do not feel that its anyone's business but my own what I do in my private auto just like inside my private home which has curtains.

Yeah, I'm a LEO lol

Sorry to imply your a thug Bmel. my apologizes ;)
But from my experience everytime i have seen a vehicle with tinted windows the passengers look like trouble and the ones that have the windows so dark i cant even tell theres people in them look like they spent to much on the tires and never got around to fixing the body work :pointlaugh: :D
You get my point and if you dont im not going there :mrgreen:
 #62318  by Dr. Eastwood

There's no law written about it, or OC in Delaware for that matter. The law prohibits you from A) carrying a deadly weapon concealed but B) does not prohibit you from carrying a deadly weapon in the open. When I say "carrying" I mean a weapon holstered, and "open" refers to "in plain view". Therefore, we can carry openly because there is no law specifically barring you from doing so.
 #62333  by Sodbuster

Lascivious1 wrote:Personally i have never trusted anyone with tinted windows.
Aww, man. And here I was thinking about going with a limo tint on my stretch Bronco. :lol: