Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #81822  by 02337

Picked my gun up today from viper98(super nice and smooth transaction). Disassembled it cleaned it, polished the feed ramp asjusted mag lips. Feeling confident in the pistol I headed to lowes and decided to just jump into open carrying. Hit lowes,pep boys, and little ceasers.

My question is between your travels do you take off your holster and keep your gun in there and travel? Or is it acceptable to just keep holster on and firearm open on seat unholstered.

Also, if you are carrying your holster with gun in it in your hand from say my house to my car is this breaking any laws? Or does weapon have to be holstered on belt?

Thanks!
 #81826  by MrCoolDale

Let me tackle these one at a time.
First thing is first:
Viper98 is awesome

Second:
I AM NOT A LAWYER

Third:
Open carrying in a car can be tricky. Open carry means that it is in the open, easily in view. If it is on your hip (I'm a righty) while in the car, with you driving, and buckled up (it's the law)... Wouldn't your shirt/jacket, along with the seatbelt, and center console cover the firearm from public view? I know it does with me. While courts have ruled that "In public view" may have a different meaning to a police officer (ie they have a broader meaning), is this something you want to challenge? I can almost guarantee that no amount of arguing with a police officer will convince them that you weren't attempting to conceal it. Your best bet is to keep it in the open.

To do this, I place it on my passenger seat. Some members have anti-slip pads and place it on their dash board. A few members have actually mounted a serpa holster to their dash. If I'm not mistaken, one member actually has holster on his seatbelt, which keeps the pistol right at his chest. All of these options are acceptable. I would tell you to be creative, but be safe and cover your ass.

Fourth:
Carrying a firearm in your hands, in many states, would be considered brandishing. However, Delaware does not have a brandishing law, but they do have aggregated menacing. Obviously this would be along the lines of threatening someone with the pistol. I don't think any of the police in this state are so anti-gun that they would charge you with this, plus it wouldn't hold up.

Here's what I'll tell you about carrying it in your hands. Be smart about it. Keep it in the holster, pointed in a safe direction (down) and only if you really have to. I would suggest that you take the time, in your car, to secure your sidearm on your hip. But to accurately answer your question, there is NO law that requires you to keep it on your hip.

These are fantastic questions you're asking. Please don't hesitate to ask anything. However, unless someone on these boards (myself absolutely included) specifically states otherwise; WE ARE NOT LAWYERS. What we tell you is based on experience and what we've read/heard in other places. Only a lawyer or the district attorney can give you absolute answers.
 #81829  by bmel17

In addition, I would add: I wouldn't carry a weapon until I fired it with my ammo of choice. Make sure the ammo you like cycles properly or find one that does. I wouldn't want to find out my pistol was finicky with hornady crit defense and jammed after the first round.
 #81830  by MrCoolDale

You bring up a fantastic point. Perhaps one even worth it's own thread...
It is vitally important that you practice with what you carry. If you're going to carry a firearm, you should definitely shoot it first. Take it to the range and put a bunch of rounds through it. Put some regular ol' range ammo through it first, then your carry loads. Make sure it cycles well. In the winter, I even suggest trying it out with your gloves on.

Above all: Be alert, stay safe.
 #81837  by Guard_Duck

bmel17 wrote:In addition, I would add: I wouldn't carry a weapon until I fired it with my ammo of choice. Make sure the ammo you like cycles properly or find one that does. I wouldn't want to find out my pistol was finicky with hornady crit defense and jammed after the first round.
I was about to add that. I don't start carrying until I have at least 200 rounds through a new firearm. With at least 2 full mags of whatever I plan on carrying.
 #81848  by 02337

Thanks for the great answers and tips but I just have one question that id like more clarity on.
When you plan to open carry on your seat do you remove holster from belt with gun in it and then place holstered gun on seat?
Or is it acceptable to take weapon out of holster and sit the unholstered weapon on seat?

I'm going to the range today but I mainly through it on my hip to run in and out as I don't have a secure place in car yet, and I didn't really feel comfortable with it in my car.
 #81851  by bmel17

I would holster it on the seat and buckle it in. A holster is like an extra safety. Might even want to get a cheap holster just for convenience for the car.

A lot of guy on the forum have nice setups mounted in their cars for this. I use one from http://www.gumcreekcustoms.com but some feel it isn't open enough without a CCDW. But many other options are available too
 #81853  by MrCoolDale

Bmel, I love that setup, but I would be weary of using it without a CCDW. While I wouldn't anticipate it becoming a problem, I don't like being test cases for these types of things.

I, personally, will simply place it on my passenger seat. Since my car has bucket seats, and the fabric that's on it, my pistol doesn't slide around. Even taking a quick turn, it doesn't budge. However, be smart about it. You don't want to have to fish around your car while driving for a firearm that you just accidentally concealed by taking a turn to fast (with it going under your seat). I would suggest picking up a cheap holster for this purpose.

Blackhawk makes a cheap IWB (Inside the Waistband) holster made of some light fabric with a belt clip on it. It costs about $15 and is fairly universal. It will have sufficient retention for your vehicle and it'll clip perfectly on your passenger seatbelt. I have one for use in my wife's car. This will keep your firearm in a safe place, easily within reach if it's needed, and in the open in case you get pulled over.
 #81855  by MrCoolDale

I forgot to link to the holster I was talking about.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Inside ... 155,34.htm

It's just padded nylon with a plastic belt hook. I picked mine up from X-Ring for $15.00. They almost always have them in stock, as would nearly every firearms store. These holsters are mostly universal. You just buy it according to your pistol type (large/small frame, short/long slide, etc).

One of these days I'm actually going to mount a serpa quick attach point on my dash.
 #81856  by 02337

Really like the blackhawk on seatbelt idea, I think ill swing by x ring tomorrow and grab one.