Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #85213  by USAFCoen

I have a Texas CHL and living in Delaware (which Delaware honors Texas CHL's) but bored and stumbled upon the signed agreement between Texas and Delaware back in '05 (Link here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/le ... eement.pdf) and so I found a interesting statement within the agreement "WHEREAS, Concealed Handgun license reciprocity between Texas and Delaware is thus supported by the laws of both states;" which almost sounds as if Delaware would acknowledge Texas firearm laws, so anyways what do you guys think? (Just to clarify, Im just curious on your guy's input and I will still be following Delaware laws only while in DE. Im just a big kind of "do some digging to find answers" kind of person and it peak my curiosity) :D
 #85214  by astro_wanabe

The people tasked with making reciprocity agreements between states (the Attorney General in both Delaware and Texas) generally can't just make agreements to honor whomever's permit/license they wish. The states involved in the agreement need something in their laws that allows reciprocity in the first place, and typically the laws limit which states are elligible for reciprocity by requiring the permitting / licensing process to be fairly similar (in your case, the TX AG must determine that our state does a NICS background check). That section only seems to indicate that the parties to the agreement (DE AG and TX AG) believe their respective states' laws allow for the agreement to take place - i.e. the laws "support" the agreement.

For a bit of bedtime reading, here's the section of the Delaware Code that allows for reciprocity:
11 Del. C. §1441(j) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Code to the contrary, the State of Delaware shall give full faith and credit and shall otherwise honor and give full force and effect to all licenses/permits issued to the citizens of other states where those issuing states also give full faith and credit and otherwise honor the licenses issued by the State of Delaware pursuant to this section and where those licenses/permits are issued by authority pursuant to state law and which afford a reasonably similar degree of protection as is provided by licensure in Delaware. For the purpose of this subsection "reasonably similar" does not preclude alternative or differing provisions nor a different source and process by which eligibility is determined. Notwithstanding the forgoing, if there is evidence of a pattern of issuing licenses/permits to convicted felons in another state, the Attorney General shall not include that state under the exception contained in this subsection even if the law of that state is determined to be "reasonably similar." The Attorney General shall communicate the provisions of this section to the Attorneys General of the several states and shall determine those states whose licensing/permit systems qualify for recognition under this section. The Attorney General shall publish on January 15th of each year a list of all States which have qualified for reciprocity under this subsection. Such list shall be valid for one year and any removal of a State from the list shall not occur without 1 year's notice of such impending removal. Such list shall be made readily available to all State and local law-enforcement agencies within the State as well as to all then-current holders of licenses issued by the State of Delaware pursuant to this Section.
Oh, and welcome to the board :P
 #85215  by bmel17

USAFCoen wrote:I have a Texas CHL and living in Delaware (which Delaware honors Texas CHL's) but bored and stumbled upon the signed agreement between Texas and Delaware back in '05 (Link here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/le ... eement.pdf) and so I found a interesting statement within the agreement "WHEREAS, Concealed Handgun license reciprocity between Texas and Delaware is thus supported by the laws of both states;" which almost sounds as if Delaware would acknowledge Texas firearm laws, so anyways what do you guys think? (Just to clarify, Im just curious on your guy's input and I will still be following Delaware laws only while in DE. Im just a big kind of "do some digging to find answers" kind of person and it peak my curiosity) :D
Are you asking if you can carry concealed?
 #85217  by Boots

USAFCoen wrote:I have a Texas CHL and living in Delaware (which Delaware honors Texas CHL's) but bored and stumbled upon the signed agreement between Texas and Delaware back in '05 (Link here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/le ... eement.pdf) and so I found a interesting statement within the agreement "WHEREAS, Concealed Handgun license reciprocity between Texas and Delaware is thus supported by the laws of both states;" which almost sounds as if Delaware would acknowledge Texas firearm laws, so anyways what do you guys think? (Just to clarify, Im just curious on your guy's input and I will still be following Delaware laws only while in DE. Im just a big kind of "do some digging to find answers" kind of person and it peak my curiosity) :D
Yes, reciprocity is supported.

However, when in TX you must abide by their CC laws, and when in DE you must abide by DE's CC laws.

In DE, the CCDW covers deadly weapons, not just firearms. However, the deadly weapons that are legal to carry here may not be so in another state.
 #89317  by olllloJeepin

I checked on "legal heat" and yes Delaware does recognize a Texas permit, but not sure if its legit depending on your residency status ( Tex or De), there's an app and website called "Legal Heat" and its written by firearms instructors and lawyers, and has up to date OC and CC laws for every state. It's worth a look if you can.