Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #85831  by Pstalvey

Has anyone ever been or heard of anyone being denied a permit because of their driving record? I received a call from the AG's office and he said there was some questions about my driving record which the majority of it happened almost 20 years ago! He also mentioned an incident with Family Court that I was involved with when I was 15 almost 25 years ago. I called family court and they said it was a mistake on their part and have since cleared it up and it's been removed. I guess the bottom line is should I be concerned about this or are they just trying to busy my berries?
 #85834  by David

The AG's office likes to pretend they are the all powerful permit issuer. They're not. They can only make a recommendation. It all comes down to a judge who is bound only by his own common sense (and political slant of course).
 #85836  by fieldman

Pstalvey wrote:Has anyone ever been or heard of anyone being denied a permit because of their driving record? I received a call from the AG's office and he said there was some questions about my driving record which the majority of it happened almost 20 years ago! He also mentioned an incident with Family Court that I was involved with when I was 15 almost 25 years ago. I called family court and they said it was a mistake on their part and have since cleared it up and it's been removed. I guess the bottom line is should I be concerned about this or are they just trying to busy my berries?
From what I've read, it seems like a ticket here or there doesnt seem to be a big deal. It's been mentioned that if your record shows a lengthy pattern of poor judgement, they MAY interpret it as poor character, bad judgement, or immaturity. I know nothing for a fact. Only what I have read on these boards.

The last question on the app inquires about being adjudicated as a juvenile, and does not require an answer if you are over 25. By this alone, it doesnt seem they are even interested in your juvenile record unless you're under 25. Unless it was something of a violent nature, I wouldn't think it would affect your app.

Which county did you apply in? And when? I'm waiting on a CCW app in Kent. Friends of mine received theirs in 4 weeks, also in Kent. I havent heard anything and it is now over 2months. I was under the impression that Kent is much faster with processing CCW's than NCC. Maybe not. Maybe they got lucky and made it in on the tail end of a batch being processed. I suppose I could call, but would rather my app pass thru the process without any undue attention.
 #85850  by Red Alert

I would be worry...
 #85852  by Pstalvey

I'm in Sussex County. I got the call 2 months to the date of filing my app. The guy sounded to be a bit if a d- bag. When we talked he sounded as if he was trying to intimidate me. When I called him back to ask him a question he acted annoyed and uninterested.
As far as my record goes. It was quite a bit if a string if offenses when I was in my early 20's (I'm now 39) but after that it was 5 years until my next ticket then another 6 years after that until my next one. Now I am going on almost 2 years since my last ticket. To me it seems to be a bit of BS that they could say from my driving record that I have " poor character" when I had to include references from 5 people in good standing in the county in which I live that say different. You woukd think that if there is any question they could just call them.
Hopefully I'm just reading too much into it and I'll be getting my permit in the mail soon. If not there's always an appeal.
 #85859  by fieldman

Pstalvey wrote:To me it seems to be a bit of BS that they could say from my driving record that I have " poor character" when I had to include references from 5 people in good standing in the county in which I live that say different. You woukd think that if there is any question they could just call them.
Hopefully I'm just reading too much into it and I'll be getting my permit in the mail soon. If not there's always an appeal.
Lets hope they see it that way too. I seem to get popped just about every three years. Enough to keep something on my driving record. Last one i got about was about 3 years ago driving southbound into Galena MD after a work event in Northeast. Unfamiliar road, dark, late at night and starting to rain. Its a spot where the speed limit goes from 50 to 25 in space of maybe 1/8th mile. Cruising along at about 55 on what seemed to be the middle of nowhere. Somehow I missed the sign that dropped it to 35. I remember seeing a car far ahead of me and thought "I'm suddenly starting to catch him pretty quick." and just as my foot went for the brake on come the lights and i see the sign showing 25mph. Young officer, no break. 55 in a 25. Went to court in Chestertown to at least ask for leniency . Pay fine and reduce points.. As people went up in front of the judge they were handing out breaks left and right for unbelievably stupid reasons. I explained the situation, asked for leniency. It was like the judges whole demeanor changed. Became very terse. Said no and berated me. I stopped talking, listened to what he had to say. I have learned when to shut my mouth and this was one of those times when it seemed anything i said was gonna dig a deeper hole. As i walked away he informed me in a sarcastic d-bag tone that I could appeal. I was convinced this would not be worth another day of my time go travel down there. I just said no and paid my fine with all the points.. Im hoping this traffic offense isnt whats holding mine up. 55 in a 25 sounds like I was racing thru a neighborhood or something. I just didnt realize I was approaching a town and had missed a sign.. Allbeit I admit to driving a little above the 50mph limit. Guess that made it look even worse in hindsight.
 #86327  by GregoryJ

so they could prolong my ccdw process but it seems from what i've read so far they won't really deny it over traffic tickets. what about the purchase of weapons in DE? will traffic tickets, unpaid or pending in court send up red flags when i am at the shop trying to purchase? cause I have 3 peding in court that I am fighting(long story) but I wanted to buy another pistol soon. didnt know if they would say no due to these even though none of them are in my home state(DE)
 #86328  by scampbell3

GregoryJ wrote:so they could prolong my ccdw process but it seems from what i've read so far they won't really deny it over traffic tickets. what about the purchase of weapons in DE? will traffic tickets, unpaid or pending in court send up red flags when i am at the shop trying to purchase? cause I have 3 peding in court that I am fighting(long story) but I wanted to buy another pistol soon. didnt know if they would say no due to these even though none of them are in my home state(DE)
GregoryJ,

The last time I looked at a 4475 form, traffic tickets are not listed as a cause to make one a "person prohibited" I do not see your traffic issues as a reason for a denial of purchase.

This is just my opinion. Your results may vary, some assembly required, batteries not included. Do not feed the troll after midnight.

Chip