Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #86895  by jrock419

I just received my permit from the Dover chief of police yesterday, I carry a copy in my wallet and a copy in my car. My question is, what happens when Chief Hosfelt is no long chief of police? Will the permit still be good or will we need rewrite another request to the new chief?
 #86904  by Bulldog021

By then you should have applied and received a ccdw
 #86910  by jrock419

According to shooters choice once you obtain a CCDW you waive your right to open carry, now I'm not sure how true that is but that's what I was told. But my question isn't about a CCDW
 #86911  by astro_wanabe

jrock419 wrote:According to shooters choice once you obtain a CCDW you waive your right to open carry, now I'm not sure how true that is but that's what I was told.
It's false. There's nothing in the law that says you can't OC just because you have a CCDW.

As for your question, I asked the same thing in the thread about getting the permits and I don't think anybody really knows. It might be something that could be interpretted either way. Personally, unless a new chief outright states that all current permits are valid, I'll probably play it safe and just ask for a new one.
 #86912  by fdegree

jrock419 wrote:According to shooters choice once you obtain a CCDW you waive your right to open carry, now I'm not sure how true that is but that's what I was told. But my question isn't about a CCDW
If Shooters Choice actually said that, they are mistaken. That is like saying, "Once you obtain your drivers license, you give up your right to walk."

I would request that they show you where it is stated that you give up your right to open carry...I'll bet they can't.
 #86913  by Guard_Duck

Sad part is, shooters choice isn't the only one saying that. There are at least 2 of the places offering CCDW classes saying the same thing. But yet they are unable to cite the code that says it.
 #86915  by Trapper

First... IANAL

Second... I was discussing with my wife about this very subject. We came to the following conclusion; their is no expiration date so it doesn't expire, and if I remember correctly, the code just states a letter from the police chief. It says nothing about the current police chief. I would think that means the chief of police at the time you apply, not future chiefs of police.
What say y'all?
 #86920  by jrock419

I honestly don't know where shooters choice gets their info from but as soon as he told me that I walked away. And as for the permit for Dover ill just one day when the time comes write to the new chief of police. I'm just glad I finally received my permit after a long 2 week wait lol
 #86921  by fieldman

There was a time when I assumed anyone on the other side of the counter at the LGS would be more knowledgable than myself on all things gun related. The more I learned through my own research, the more I was able to recognize they didnt know as much as I thought. Now, I tend to deal with the folks that are careful about what they say and arent afraid to say they dont know. People that have an answer for everything are generally full of it & themselves. I generally do what you did, stop talking and wander on.