Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.

Which one Which one?

9mm
34%
40cal
31%
45cal
34%
 #88425  by F16WarBird

I'm of the opinion that you should carry whatever works best for you.

I own a 9mm. I OC with a full size Beretta PX4 .40 and CC with a Walther PPS .40

I have no complaints with any of those firearms or calibers.

I'm looking to purchase my first .45 (Kimber Ultra CDP II). When that happens, I'll keep those guns but exclusively carry the Kimber.

YMMV.
 #88429  by SasquatchAF

F16WarBird wrote:
I'm looking to purchase my first .45 (Kimber Ultra CDP II). When that happens, I'll keep those guns but exclusively carry the Kimber.

YMMV.
Dont let Viper know youre buying a Kimber. You may never hear the end of it! But Speeder might be your new best friend!

I do agree with Viper about Kimbers though. Way over-hyped, and instead of buying an over priced production gun, why not save a few hundred more dollars and buy a quality hand fit and finished 1911, that will SEVERELY outdo a Kimber in quality and fit/finish?
 #88432  by F16WarBird

F16WarBird wrote:I'm of the opinion that you should carry whatever works best for you.
 #88434  by Amy Blackthorn

F16WarBird wrote:I'm of the opinion that you should carry whatever works best for you.

I own a 9mm. I OC with a full size Beretta PX4 .40 and CC with a Walther PPS .40

I have no complaints with any of those firearms or calibers.

YMMV.
I may have to hit you up to try the Walther. ;)

F16WarBird wrote:
Exactly. I you don't like it and aren't comfortable you won't carry it.
 #88435  by F16WarBird

Amy Blackthorn wrote:
I may have to hit you up to try the Walther. ;)
Anytime, darlin'. You know where I live.
 #88455  by fdegree

Check out this article:
http://www.americanrifleman.org/article ... ing-power/
Page 2 shows a chart of common handgun calibers and their statistics...velocity - penetration - expansion.

There are a few 9mm rounds that exceed the penetration and overall expansion size of most .40 and .45 calibers. For example...the DoubleTap 124 Gr. Bonded JHP 9mm penetrated 15.0" and expanded by a factor of 1.97. This results in an expansion size of 0.697". For the .45 to equal that final expanded size, it would have to expand by a factor of 1.55...some did, but most did not. Same for the .40 - it would have to expand by a factor of 1.74 to equal that of this particular 9mm round...some did, but most did not. The .40's and .45's that did exceed the expansion of this 9mm, most did not have the same penetration.

DISCLAIMER -- I'm not a math wiz, so there may be some mistakes in my calculations

So, it would appear the average performance of the .40's and .45's does exceed that of the average 9mm, but there are a few 9mm rounds that out perform most .40's and .45's.

Something to consider while pondering the question...9mm, 40 cal or 45 cal?
 #88463  by whatevah

F16WarBird wrote:I OC with a full size Beretta PX4 .40 and CC with a Walther PPS .40
interesting, I do the same thing... PX4 .40 for OC and PPS .40 for CC.
 #89314  by olllloJeepin

I personally like the .40 cal and am only offering my opinion. I have two .40 cal carry pistols and it seems as those with my chosen platform and selected ammo of choice, that it is a reliable, on target round that has proven to me through hours at the range and its ability to hit on target at close range as well as at a distance. I feel confident and comfortable with putting shots on target, as well as its stopping power, recoil and performance with my particular setup. I on the other hand am a person of larger build (Polak and proud of it) thus I find my self with broader shoulders, a larger hand and more of a larger stature so the .40 cal doesn't tend to have a large recoil/ re acquiring a target problem for myself. What ever you choose make sure your comfortable with it and may your aim be true.