Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #89776  by spillanej

F16WarBird wrote:And if you have an encounter with a LEO and he/she suspects you're drunk or is having a bad day, you are humped.
Humped by a camel... a very lonely rapist camel.
 #89777  by spillanej

mdak06 wrote:Carrying a firearm + consuming any mind-altering substance = irresponsible firearm owner, IMO. Anything that affects your ability to use your firearm should not be combined with carrying the firearm.
Seeing 9 dots on my 3 dot sight Is not the situation I wanna be in
 #89778  by Mr.Skellington

How many people drink so much they piss themselves or climb chandeliers? If you do your not who this post is directed to.

Odds are many people here are of the age to know their limits and stay well within social norms so the keeping alcohol and carrying a mile apart smacks me as the same scarey speak that antis say about merely carrying itself.

I carry because I believe my life is worth it. I feel the same about my life even after having a drink so I wont be disarming anyplace I may have occasion to defend myself. I can see the merit of bringing up how drinking could be used in court after a self defense situation but I do not understand the insecurities people feel about their own judgement, after having a beer or two, in respect to completely disarming. Its baffling to me.

Serious question, how is being defenseless more responsible than having a drink while carrying?
 #89803  by stephpd

Along those same lines..................

Why is it people are all for precrime control of our lives? To me that goes against the total concept of what this country was founded on. That we 'need' government to come in and try to control behavior to prevent some future crime that may or may not happen. To make something that was legal into something illegal, though none can show any significant correlation between the two.

Do we really need the government to say we can't do one thing because we might do another thing when they can't show cause and effect?
Or should government stick to intervening when what we do only effects others?

Because the last time I looked there weren't many, if any, barroom brawls that ended up in gunfights.
 #89846  by George

Skellington and Stephpd,

my thoughts exactly, I as before, keep a close tab on how much I drink while carrying. You do not lose your right to self defense the moment you sip a beer. probable cause still is in effect. seeing you drink a a alcoholic drink in a bar or smelling ETOH on your breath is not RAS for breathalyzer (by it self). there still must be RAS of impairment.
 #89850  by fieldman

To me, this is like drinking and driving but staying below the .08 limit. Doesnt look good, but not gonna get you a dui either. I guess thats why they made the open alcoholic beverage thing. While not illegally intoxicated, you leave the gate wide open for it to be argued in court should something happen. If I want to have a few, I do as folks have suggested. Place in car safe and separate ammo from my gun.
 #89855  by spillanej

George wrote:Skellington and Stephpd,

my thoughts exactly, I as before, keep a close tab on how much I drink while carrying. You do not lose your right to self defense the moment you sip a beer. probable cause still is in effect. seeing you drink a a alcoholic drink in a bar or smelling ETOH on your breath is not RAS for breathalyzer (by it self). there still must be RAS of impairment.
I thought the police could now breathalize you, take your blood, and hair when they arrest you. Assuming you actually use your gun to defend yourself by pulling the trigger and not tomahawking it at them.. most likely youll get used to the feeling of cuffs before youre let go.
 #89856  by scampbell3

The logic shown in this tread makes my head hurt. For the "sip a beer/drink then you must be unarmed" crowd, let us follow this logic a little further.

Using the same reasoning, it is logical to conclude that having a (singular) beer/cocktail/wine also means that you MUST NEVER operate a motor vehicle in fear of what might happen regardless of BAC. Keep in mind that an automobile kills far more people, children, grandmothers, dogs, cats, and small woodland creatures then firearms.

Also keep in mind that the new law (designed to save us from ourselves) is not ANY DIFFERENT then the one regarding operation of motor vehicles while impaired. How many of you have a beer with a meal at a restaurant then get into your car and drive home? What is the difference between operating a motor vehicle with a BAC below .08 and carrying a firearm with a BAC below .08? The chances of you getting into a MVC has a much higher level of probability then you having to use your firearm in a self defense encounter.

If you make the personal decision not to drink while carrying a firearm...great, good for you. But please make sure that the logic and reasoning that you are using is consistent before telling others what personal decisions they should make. If others choose to abide by the law and enjoy an adult beverage (responsibly) while carrying...great, good for them.

Chip
 #89857  by F16WarBird

scampbell3 wrote:If you make the personal decision not to drink while carrying a firearm...great, good for you. But please make sure that the logic and reasoning that you are using is consistent before telling others what personal decisions they should make. If others choose to abide by the law and enjoy an adult beverage (responsibly) while carrying...great, good for them.

Chip
Who told someone what decision they should make? I know I didn't. I stated what I do. I don't care what anyone else does.
 #89871  by myopicvisionary

The point of this thread has been lost. It is not whether you can imbibe responsibly while carrying. It is about the image projected by carriers. I know some do not care but this is a real concern. If the sheep see people carrying firearms and drinking alcohol they will complain to the legislature. Lawmakers will see an opportunity to "do something" about an evil in our midst. Remember, they are always looking for a re-election issue. And here, we will have given them one. So what happens? First, bars will become an establishment that is now illegal to carry a firearm in. Think it can't happen? Check with other states where that is the case. Once that is successfully done, the lawmakers will push for more. Next, ANY establishment with a liquor license is off limits to firearms. Most of the restaurants that I patronize would then be out of bounds for me. Again; in other states, this is the case. By now you can also include all liquor stores. Do you honestly think they will include an exemption for CCDW holders? I'm not taking that bet.