Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #89656  by bmel17

in my Jeep I have a steel glovebox and steel center console. 2 of the best upgrades I ever did on my Jeep. I also have a portable safe that secures to the vehicle with a steel cable. So no, it does not need to be perm attached. I prefer it to be though.
 #89657  by F16WarBird

Mine is. Don't know about the legality. If you don't have a place to secure it from theft such as a lockable trunk like in standard passenger cars, you might want to look into something mountable. Mine is secured with a cable and kept inside the trunk.

Keep in mind, if you don't have a CCDW, you need to store it in transporatable status (firearme secured in a case unloaded out of reach of the driver, ammo/magazine stored separately (i.e. glove compartment).
 #89661  by olllloJeepin

bmel17 wrote:in my Jeep I have a steel glovebox and steel center console. 2 of the best upgrades I ever did on my Jeep. I also have a portable safe that secures to the vehicle with a steel cable. So no, it does not need to be perm attached. I prefer it to be though.

bmel, I've got an XJ, but I'm guessing you have a YJ? But I was thinking of the portable safe with the cable.

F16WarBird wrote:Mine is. Don't know about the legality. If you don't have a place to secure it from theft such as a lockable trunk like in standard passenger cars, you might want to look into something mountable. Mine is secured with a cable and kept inside the trunk.

Keep in mind, if you don't have a CCDW, you need to store it in transporatable status (firearme secured in a case unloaded out of reach of the driver, ammo/magazine stored separately (i.e. glove compartment).
I have a Jeep Cherokee, so I have a "trunk area" but its not separated from the driver compartment. So that's why i ask if it has to be secured, and figured I would have time to review some different options and save a few bucks while I waited on my CCW to come in.
 #89687  by spillanej

F16WarBird wrote:Mine is. Don't know about the legality. If you don't have a place to secure it from theft such as a lockable trunk like in standard passenger cars, you might want to look into something mountable. Mine is secured with a cable and kept inside the trunk.

It is literally legal for me to duct tape my loaded firearm to the center of my steering wheel....
 #89713  by WPCatfish

spillanej wrote:It is literally legal for me to duct tape my loaded firearm to the center of my steering wheel....

Let's not be silly. That's where your iPad goes.

#89715  by Guard_Duck

Back on topic, my opinion is if you plan on having an adult beverage, don't carry. Your judgement and reaction times are affected even with 1 drink. Not worth it IMHO.
 #89716  by F16WarBird

And if you have an encounter with a LEO and he/she suspects you're drunk or is having a bad day, you are humped.
 #89721  by mdak06

Carrying a firearm + consuming any mind-altering substance = irresponsible firearm owner, IMO. Anything that affects your ability to use your firearm should not be combined with carrying the firearm.