Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #89880  by fieldman

Disarming is my personal choice. I feel I have too much at risk to chance it. Removing my firearm from the equation does not leave me defenseless. It just removes an option. I personally make that choice when I feel comfortable enough to let my guard down a little and enjoy a few. Its not too often, and means the wife is driving me home. I also agree with myopic's opinion that if your OC'ng, it will cast a negative light on us collectively. This is just what I prefer to do for my own personal reasons. Dont mistake this as me saying this is how all should operate, everyones situatiin is different. If i was single with nobody depending on me, my actions may be different.
 #90680  by spillanej

scampbell3 wrote:The logic shown in this tread makes my head hurt. For the "sip a beer/drink then you must be unarmed" crowd, let us follow this logic a little further.

Using the same reasoning, it is logical to conclude that having a (singular) beer/cocktail/wine also means that you MUST NEVER operate a motor vehicle in fear of what might happen regardless of BAC. Keep in mind that an automobile kills far more people, children, grandmothers, dogs, cats, and small woodland creatures then firearms.

Also keep in mind that the new law (designed to save us from ourselves) is not ANY DIFFERENT then the one regarding operation of motor vehicles while impaired. How many of you have a beer with a meal at a restaurant then get into your car and drive home? What is the difference between operating a motor vehicle with a BAC below .08 and carrying a firearm with a BAC below .08? The chances of you getting into a MVC has a much higher level of probability then you having to use your firearm in a self defense encounter.

If you make the personal decision not to drink while carrying a firearm...great, good for you. But please make sure that the logic and reasoning that you are using is consistent before telling others what personal decisions they should make. If others choose to abide by the law and enjoy an adult beverage (responsibly) while carrying...great, good for them.

Chip
Youre right, vehicles kill a lot of people. Impaired drivers kill a lot of them. Notice thr statement impaired and not drunk? Any idiot can drive with a drink or two in him.. its more about what happens when you have 1/4th of a second to react. Instinct is suppressed by the effects of alcohol. Muscle memory is useless at a BAC of .02 by my research.

Now that kid walking in front of your car is a pissed off drug dealer who you just interrupted making a sale.. same problems exist for you.

Do whatever you want, never be controlled. Never be saved from yourself. But remember its hard to "engage your brain before you engage your weapon" when your brain is even a tiny bit slower than normal. Above all remember.. its better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Just make the smart decision you are comfortable with. Both are smart options.