Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #90660  by M&P40Noobie

I just took my class for my CCDW. The instructor went over the places you can and can’t carry for both CCDW and OC. I learned that with a CCDW I can carry in a GUN FREE SCHOOL ZONE (within the 1,000ft and even into the school), but while OC (without a CCDW) I can not. That I already knew and understood. What I didn’t know and don’t understand is that you can’t even drive past while OC (without a CCDW) if the road is within the 1,000ft line. How does someone (without a CCDW) get around legally while OC. There is nowhere in the state where you can get from point A to point B without driving through a GUN FREE SCHOOL ZONE.
 #90661  by Bullpup

I worried about this a lot when I first started carrying, before I got my CCDW. You're right, it's almost impossible to get around in DE without coming within 1000 feet of a school. Once I got used to open carrying I got over the fear of violating the GFSZA. DE cops aren't likely to enforce a Federal law, and unless you're doing something really stupid within a school zone they probably aren't going to bother you.

One thing I always tried to do was to never get out of my car with my gun when within 1000 feet of a school UNLESS I was on private property.
 #90664  by brich2929

This is one of the reasons I DON'T OC..as I live 2 blocks from a school. The other is that I work just over the border in PA and my family, friends and church are all in PA.

But you're right, we learned in my CCDW class that you can (unless they try and pass the law that failed this past session) carry on school property with a CCDW, and that the GFSZA is a Federal add-on charge, so its unlikely that you'd get charged with that violation unless you really were doing something bad in a school zone.
 #90666  by Taurus247

M&P40Noobie wrote:I just took my class for my CCDW. The instructor went over the places you can and can’t carry for both CCDW and OC. I learned that with a CCDW I can carry in a GUN FREE SCHOOL ZONE (within the 1,000ft and even into the school), but while OC (without a CCDW) I can not. That I already knew and understood. What I didn’t know and don’t understand is that you can’t even drive past while OC (without a CCDW) if the road is within the 1,000ft line. How does someone (without a CCDW) get around legally while OC. There is nowhere in the state where you can get from point A to point B without driving through a GUN FREE SCHOOL ZONE.
Im surprised that your instructor went over both and also covering a school zone. (unless it was one thats a member here lol) because I have heard from other people (not a member on here) that even with a CCDW she was not allowed the even have her pistol in here car in the school parking lot. I almost jumped up and told here it was completely wrong but it was in the middle of a conference and it would have been inappropriate. Funny thing is the Lt. in charge of the DSP firearms training didn't even correct her. :banghead:

There seems to be a big gap between the instructors and it seem to be a wide spread problem I think that all instructors should be on the same page.

Now I am not an instructor so I can arm chair quarter back all I want, im just pointing out a major flaw that I see and why I will only take classes from instructors on here or ones they recommend. Maybe some of the instructors can shed some light on why there is such a big gap between what is taught from instructor to instructor.
 #90706  by George

brich2929 wrote:
But you're right, we learned in my CCDW class that you can ([u]unless they try and pass the law that failed this past session)[/u] carry on school property with a CCDW, and that the GFSZA is a Federal add-on charge, so its unlikely that you'd get charged with that violation unless you really were doing something bad in a school zone.
last report on this bill was "out of committee"
http://legis.delaware.gov/LIS/LIS147.ns ... =0,firearm
the way I understand it the Gen assembly is in session for two years and they still have all next year to finish their attempt to pass whatever did not get killed this year
Last edited by George on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #90708  by photog

Taurus247 wrote: Maybe some of the instructors can shed some light on why there is such a big gap between what is taught from instructor to instructor.
Unfortunately, there are some instructors who simply do not know the law and give out false information on what they believe are the facts, some give out information on what they "heard" and while there are others who have a personal agenda. There are some that are simply teaching for a "quick buck" who teach their classes well below the time frame that is required an leave out a lot of necessary ionformation. There is 1 instructor, (will not mention names) who tells his students that you can no longer OC once you get a CCDW! It is most unfortunate, the lack of, or mis-information given can put a student in a real legal bind....

All the more reason to choose your instructor wisely. Don't always base your decision on cost. Sometimes cheaper is not better, this is one area where that is true. The best way to find a quality instructor is to either call the Attorney General's office and inquire if that instructor is on their list of qualified persons, ask others who have been through the process, or firearm forum's such as here. Ask your potential instructor some questions, if they stumble around and will not give specific answers, move along.....

Hope a nice day!
photog
 #93615  by jrock419

Iv actually been told by a gun shop that once I obtain my CCDW I WAIVE my LEGAL RIGHTS to open carry.
 #93618  by Guard_Duck

jrock419 wrote:Iv actually been told by a gun shop that once I obtain my CCDW I WAIVE my LEGAL RIGHTS to open carry.
Misinformation. For a similar example, you lose your right to walk once you get your drivers license.

Open carry is a RIGHT, CCDW is a priviledge, at least in this state. You do not waive you rights for a priviledge.
 #93652  by myopicvisionary

Iv actually been told by a gun shop that once I obtain my CCDW I WAIVE my LEGAL RIGHTS to open carry.
Please tell us what shop told you that!
 #93655  by stephpd

That's why it's better to come to a forum like this then to ask some salesman at a store. Not that all NRA instructors or even the police are any better. Many will just pass along information without actually checking. And why this forum excels because of the peer review. Try that nonsense here and it'll be argued with facts.

Not that any one of us is perfect in this. But as a group we tend to get it right.
It's also one of the problems of having to wade through so many laws on something that should be a flat out RIGHT that needs no debate.