Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #94526  by frankdawsonjr

This may sound silly, but i was wondering how do you carry openly in winter with big jackets and such with out your holster getting covered? DOnt want to be stopped and charged with Concealed carrying because my coat dropped over my holster. JUst wondering if this is a concern?
 #94537  by spillanej

Layer my friend. shirt, fleece, 6-12oz hoodie. tuck in the fleece, and you're only dealing with the hoodie.. and more warm than with a 9 pound russian surplus jacket.
 #94538  by Mr.Skellington

Winter is why many break down and get the CCW. Without the CCW your options are, as others have mentioned, layering. Short heavy coats which do not go below waist level would work.

Another option spitballed in the past is a mid length coat which has been altered (slit) on the holster side to allow full exposure at all times. I think Dave had this idea inspired by police foul weather jackets. It requires sewing elastic ribbons across the bottom of the slit so it keeps the jacket closed while allowing the holster to remain securely exposed on the outside of the jacket.

Anyway you look at it, its a PITA to OC in cold weather.
 #94541  by SCUBA9097

A few years back I gave away a couple of almost brand new "OC capable" jackets to a few members. Do a web search for law enforcement duty jackets. They are designed with a zippering slit on the side so that your firearm will still be visible and accessible while you stay warm and dry.
 #94545  by Kuntryboy816

I go the layered route but then again I'm a Yeti since I like colder weather and don't get cold very easily. I haven't had any issues or struggles OCing during the colder months.
 #94547  by Owen

I just tuck my winter jacket in behind my pistol. My holster is "mid ride" so there is plenty of pistol/holster to keep it visible. I used to have a "high ride" holster that worked even better.
 #94552  by mdak06

I do the layering thing too. But another option could be getting a low-ride holster that hangs lower on the belt so that your coat can hang above it. You could also get a thigh holster, but I think that those tend to attract much more attention (perhaps due to the straps around the leg).

If a problem is that your legs get cold, then perhaps thermal underwear under your pants/jeans would allow you to wear a shorter (waist-length) coat and still be warm enough.

This Safariland holster is an example of a lower-ride holster (and one I'm considering getting):

#94675  by DragonJames

I figured I'd throw this one out there as I didnt think of it till I was shoveling the first batch of snow earlier.

Those of you who do allot of outside work and/or tend to come home in work clothes, the leg zippers on coveralls can usually allow for slipping a Serpa through allowing for a still OC firearm.

Also.....SNopencarry!!!!!

There I said it.....:grin:

James