Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #94604  by frankdawsonjr

I have been watching several youtube videos of late of open carry stops by LEO's. Were they say they are there because "concerned Citizens" have call the police because they saw someone walking around with a gun. SInce this is a legal activity, shouldn't the LEO agency train their call center employees to explain that this is a legal and unless the person is waving the gun or doing something unsafe with it? instead they waste the LEO's time investigating a legal activity. ALthough i am sure most of the people who make these videos do so to protect their rights , some seem like baiting. I mean a guy walking around town with a ar15 strapped to his back will no doubt cause alarm with people and cause a stop by a LEO and seems to me to hurt the cause of open carry. am i wrong on this? TO me there does seem to be a difference with carrying a holstered side arm and carrying a rifle on your back. DO you guys see a difference in these cases or is it me? Not trying to offend anyone, just trying to get it all straight in my head.

Frank
 #94606  by DragonJames

On the issue of difference in carrying a rifle as opposed to a pistol, I see no different. Both are firearms, one suited for close range, the other for close-medium range. I personally cannot stand the argument of "you don't NEED to CARRY a rifle" its the same straw man as "you don't NEED THAT kind of gun" its someone dictating my choices based on their own. Given the current political climate, it obviously draws negative attention, but it should not.

Just my 2 cents on that

James
 #94607  by frankdawsonjr

Thanks... And i agree. I think you should be allowed to do it as it is legal,(carry a rifle i mean). It just seems like if your gonna do it, it's gonna gather attention..and if thats what your going for, then i have no problem with it. I myself would think the less attention the better. but i have been known to be wrong..LOL

FRank
 #94611  by photog

1) If a call is made, it is taken seriously and the police are required to respond. Whether it is a valid concern or not. LEO's do not get to "pick and choose" what calls they respond to.

2) Most folks making YouTube videos are looking for a confrontation. Those of us who open carry, do we ever leave the house with a friend and a video camera walking up and down the same street until someone notices? No. We go about our lives. The folks who open carry an AR or AK are doing the same, they are looking for a confrontation, or are anti-LEO and are looking to bait the police into an altercation. All the while, distracting the police from doing their more important duties such as pursuing criminals.

3) The main reason for carrying is for personal protection, not for showing off or to intimidate others. Keep one thing in mind, people who notice you carrying are looking to see how you handle yourself. What kind of image do you project? Are you friendly, or angry? The better light and image that we, as open carriers project, the better the public image of firearm owners will become. Which is one reason for our monthly gatherings. We get to socialize with friends and also demonstrate to the public that we carry for self-protection of ourselves and loved ones, and are just friendly, law abiding folks...... Except for SugarBoy13 of course... :lol: :lol: :lol:

IMHO, of course...Have a nice day!
photog
 #94612  by myopicvisionary

The question has to be asked... Are they OCing a firearm to be able to protect themselves and their family in the absence of police? Or, are they OCing so that they can be SEEN OCing?
 #94615  by frankdawsonjr

Photog, we are on the same wave length...Thats what it seemed to me. I figured the purpose was to protect your self and your family and community. not draw attention.

myopicvisionary, Exactly!

I am asking about this because i havent open carried yet and trying to learn all i can before i do so, and some of these videos seemed like it was just for the purpose of baiting a confrontation. Photog was right, if you are leaving the house with a friend carrying a video camera and an ar15 strapped to your back, it seems like your looking for a LEO meeting. and i am not sure if that helps or hurts the Open carry movement. I am interested in carrying for my and my families protection. and hoping to be an good responsible gun owner.
 #94617  by DragonJames

frankdawsonjr wrote:I am interested in carrying for my and my families protection. and hoping to be an good responsible gun owner.
Carrying in this manner almost never provokes a police response. As was said before, the guys that pace up and down the same street do get a response.

In the short (~2 years) I have carried, I have only once been subject of a MWAG call though I was never confronted by the police, thats a funny story for another time, perhaps if I make this months meeting. Other than that, I've been asked many times if I'm a bounty hunter/LEO, and further more often than that not a soul notices my sidearm.

James
 #94618  by photog

frankdawsonjr wrote: I am asking about this because i havent open carried yet and trying to learn all i can before i do so
Frank, the best way to get your first OC walk out of the way is to attend the monthly gatherings. You will be surrounded by a bunch of great folks who can share experiences and answer any questions to boost your confidence. In addition, most of the folks who have been on here for a while will be glad to go on a OC walk through a store with you to make it more comfortable...

Have a great day!
photog 8-)
 #94620  by spillanej

frankdawsonjr wrote: I am asking about this because i havent open carried yet and trying to learn all i can before i do so
The first time carrying should be calm and quiet. Go it alone or bring as many people as you need. Hell we'll flank all around you if you feel anxious about "other" people.

I feel like before your first OC experience.. if you are a law abiding citizen of average or greater morality and intelligence, the only thing to learn is:

1. Shooting (and every subcategory involved here)
2. Drawing from a holster
3. Returning to holster
4. Weapon Retention

Optional lessons:

1. Conflict avoidance
2. Hesitation training
3. How to cope with the physical battle, the legal battle, and the emotional battle of pulling the trigger.
and anything else you can think of..
 #94621  by photog

spillanej wrote:
The first time carrying should be calm and quiet. Go it alone or bring as many people as you need. Hell we'll flank all around you if you feel anxious about "other" people.

I feel like before your first OC experience.. if you are a law abiding citizen of average or greater morality and intelligence, the only thing to learn is:

1. Shooting (and every subcategory involved here)
2. Drawing from a holster
3. Returning to holster
4. Weapon Retention

Optional lessons:

1. Conflict avoidance
2. Hesitation training
3. How to cope with the physical battle, the legal battle, and the emotional battle of pulling the trigger.
and anything else you can think of..

:applause: :applause: :applause: Actually, these should all be mandatory lessons before you decide to carry!!!