Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #96439  by skip671

I have a CCDW permit and also have been known to open carry. A fellow CCDW permit holder has said that he has heard/read that if you have a concealed carry permit, you are not allowed to open carry. That does not seem to make much sense and I have not been able to find anything about it in Delaware's codes. Does anyone know if this is true?
 #96441  by fdegree

For some reason, this is a very common myth. There is no law that says you must give up your right to open carry when you receive your CCW. That would be the same as not being allowed to ride a bike after receiving your drivers license...doesn't make sense.
 #96442  by skip671

Appreciate the response. Didn't sound plausible to me either; as a matter of fact, when I went through my CCDW class, they actually recommended not open carrying unless you have a concealed permit just in case your jacket or shirt or whatever might slip down over your weapon inadvertently.
 #96443  by Boots

fdegree wrote:...That would be the same as not being allowed to ride a bike after receiving your drivers license...doesn't make sense.
+1
 #96482  by fdegree

I have heard others claim that their CCW instructor promoted this exact same myth. Unfortunately, ill-informed instructors are unknowingly contributing to this problem.

Also, keep in mind that open carrying is a right, and having been granted the "privilege" to conceal carry, does not strip you of any of your rights.
 #96491  by skip671

Thanks guys. You've confirmed everything I was telling my friend. I will encourage him to sign up here so if he has further questions or misconceptions, he has a direct resource he can turn to as I did. Thanks again. Your help is much appreciated.
 #96492  by photog

fdegree wrote:I have heard others claim that their CCW instructor promoted this exact same myth. Unfortunately, ill-informed instructors are unknowingly contributing to this problem.

Unfortunately, there are some instructors who pass along this false information due to ignorance, or a personal dislike of OC. Either way, this is why it is crucial to be choosy and ask questions when selecting an instructor......
 #96493  by fdegree

Skip,
I also live in Seaford, and it is odd how much ignorance there is around Sussex County. It is also a common misconception that Delaware residents can conceal carry, even if all they have is a FL concealed carry permit, because DE has reciprocity with FL. I have tried to tell them, as long as they are a DE resident, they MUST have a DE concealed carry permit, or it is illegal to carry concealed...regardless of any other permit they might have. They always want to argue with me and tell me I'm wrong.

I commend you for taking the initiative to dig deeper and find out the truth. Most folks won't bother.
 #96494  by skip671

Yeah, I've heard that argument too. The law is very clear on that subject and I usually don't have too much trouble educating others on it. I think, in my friend's case, he has misunderstood about non-residents. I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) that open carry laws do not apply to non-residents. Therefore, if a non-resident gets a Delaware carry permit, it does not give him the right to open carry.