Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #97225  by Surface Dragon

How do I go about getting a permit/letter to open carry in Dover, DE?

Do I just go into the police station and kindly ask for an appointment to meet with the chief?

What information do they need from me?

Do they require me to give them a reason why I feel the need to carry?

Do I need to demonstrate to them that I fully understand the law and how to safely operate a firearm?

Will they just tell me to aquire a concealed carry permit?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you.
 #97230  by harr2969

If you search the forums I believe you'll find the letter that many have used to request permission. Since there is a new chief (soon?) , it may need to be retyped/updated.

As far as I know, everyone has just snail mailed it.
 #97233  by Surface Dragon

So do I just send a letter to -

Chief Hosfelt, Dover Police Department
400 S Queen St, Dover DE, 19904

That says -

Chief Hosfelt,

Sir, I am petitioning you for a permit to openly carry my lawfully owned firearms within the city limits of Dover De. As defined by Dover City Ordnance Section 70-2.

(Something about myself like - I am a California resident visiting family in the Dover, DE area. I like Delaware so much that I am making plans to stay and live here.)

I have provided additional personal information below should it be needed.

(Full name, date of birth, driver's lic#, and address of where I'm currently at.)

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Thank you,
(My name)

?
 #97234  by harr2969

Looks good to me. I might say thanks to him for his longstanding reputation of respecting the rights of citizens to protect themselves.
 #97236  by Boots

08///M3Saloon wrote:Just an FYI Maj Paul Bernat actually took office as chief of police for DPD yesterday or today. Mr. Hosfelt had a retirement date of 4 April 2014.
You beat me to it.

We have no way of knowing if Chief Bernat will respect our 2A rights as much as Chief Hosfelt did until someone gets an answer from him.

So, whomever gets a reply will hopefully give us an update here on DELOC.
 #97239  by harr2969

So perhaps "I welcome you to your new office and look forward to affirming to my fellow citizens that you uphold the rights of citizens to protect themselves in the same exemplary way your predecessor did.
 #98394  by bren7176

Boots wrote:
08///M3Saloon wrote:Just an FYI Maj Paul Bernat actually took office as chief of police for DPD yesterday or today. Mr. Hosfelt had a retirement date of 4 April 2014.
You beat me to it.

We have no way of knowing if Chief Bernat will respect our 2A rights as much as Chief Hosfelt did until someone gets an answer from him.

So, whomever gets a reply will hopefully give us an update here on DELOC.
Update .

Chief Bernat does respect our 2A rights My brother and I both applied for the permit in Dover and were issued them .

Brendan