Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #99001  by cheflew

Chief bernat just approved my open carry permit request as well..took about 10 days to get it
 #99385  by thetopher

I haven't posted on the forum too much but I just recently moved to Camden and will be mailing my request today. Thanks for the info, guys.
 #99399  by Dugan

thetopher wrote:I haven't posted on the forum too much but I just recently moved to Camden and will be mailing my request today. Thanks for the info, guys.
HE DOES EXIST..haha sorry
 #105003  by JAnderson27

First off, my apologies in bringing back up an old thread. Might of you fellow OCer's be able to provide me with contact information on who I would email for approval to carry in Dover city limits?

Thanks...
 #105004  by Kuntryboy816

Surface Dragon wrote:So do I just send a letter to -

Chief Bernat, Dover Police Department
400 S Queen St, Dover DE, 19904

That says -

Chief Bernat,

Sir, I am petitioning you for a permit to openly carry my lawfully owned firearms within the city limits of Dover De. As defined by Dover City Ordnance Section 70-2.

(Something about myself like - I am a California resident visiting family in the Dover, DE area. I like Delaware so much that I am making plans to stay and live here.)

I have provided additional personal information below should it be needed.

(Full name, date of birth, driver's lic#, and address of where I'm currently at.)

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Thank you,
(My name)

?
You can use the above structure and address. I took the liberty of changing the Chief's name to the current one.
 #105007  by SasquatchAF

Spot on Kuntryboy! simple and easy!
 #107155  by rousej7

I just received a call from the chief's office stating that Dover is no longer issuing permits as the ordinance was unenforceable anyway.
 #107156  by NCC

rousej7 wrote:I just received a call from the chief's office stating that Dover is no longer issuing permits as the ordinance was unenforceable anyway.
Thanks for sharing that!
 #107282  by frankdawsonjr

rousej7 wrote:
I just received a call from the chief's office stating that Dover is no longer issuing permits as the ordinance was unenforceable anyway.

So does this mean you can no longer open carry in dover if you had a permit issued by the chief, or the no open carry in the city limits is not enforceable? Sorry for my confusion..:D
 #107283  by rousej7

Frank,

It means that you can open carry in Dover at your will. The Chief just won't waste his effort to issue a permit for something you can do lawfully anyway.

His office assured me that all of the Dover PD understands that their ordinance is invalid and that prosecution for not having a permit would never hold up in court.