Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #98102  by stephpd

Piazza wrote:Greetings all. As I said in the intro thread, I'm moving to DE from NJ soon and have questions about OC/CC/general firearms. NJ is incredibly strict and with things changing regarding gun laws so often it's hard to keep up with them, so if there is somewhere better to look up information, feel free to redirect me. I will try to keep this from being too long and painful to read.

For most of the gun laws in DE look to the actual code. It's really not that long. It starts at 1441 (concealed carry) to 1461.
http://delcode.delaware.gov/title11/c00 ... ndex.shtml

I realize that OC is legal by the lack of a law stating it to be unlawful. obviously, there are places you can't carry, but I can look those up and won't ask that now. Many of the threads I have read about people's first OC trips were started several years ago. Has it become more common in the last few years or is it still a very small percentage that do OC? As a young guy (24), I fear that I may be viewed more as a threat, opposed to a law abiding citizen looking out for my safety and potentially those immediately around me. Any merit, or am I over thinking it?

Delaware itself has very few restrictions on where you can't carry. By far the feds have more restrictions in this state.

The idea of CC is something I'm interested in, but how difficult is it to get approved? NJ is also a 'May Issue' state, but it's nearly impossible unless you receive death threats on a regular basis (exaggeration, but hopefully you get my point). It seems like a lot of people on here have/plan to get/or are in process of getting CC, does everyone have jobs or extenuating circumstances that get the approval or is it not too bad if you have a clean background?

Most folks have had little issue with getting a CCDW. Though it's a may issue state it's up to the AG to be able to show just cause as to why you are denied. Costs a bit and takes a while but many of us have gone through it and come out with the license.

Any weird firearm laws I need to look into? In NJ I had to have my XDm40 magazines blocked because they were considered 'high capacity'. Is there anything like that here, or can I buy some new magazines that aren't modified.

There's no restriction on magazine capacity. They tried passing that bill last year but it didn't have the votes. That and the grassroots organizations of this state flooded all the meetings dealing with restricting our gun rights. Can't own full auto firearms, but really not much more as far as what you can own or carry. You can literally put in a 100 round drum magazine into your gun if they make one and still be legal.

I appreciate everyone's advice. I look forward to contributing a bit here.

Hope that answers some of your questions. Like other have said the first few times OCing you feel different and that the gun sticks out and draws too much attention. After a while that goes away. Far too many people are just too wrapped up in themselves to even notice. Those that do will wrongly assume you have the gun because it's part of your job. Just explain that you're nobody special and just exercising your rights and out to protect yourself and your family with the best tools you have.

There have been a couple instances of run ins with over zealous police trying to make up reasons to detain and arrest you illegally. But as time has gone on this has become far less of a problem. By now I'd assume every police agency in DE has made their members aware that OC is legal and not a reason to detain. If stopped just ask them if you're being detain and if you're free to go.

As always, be polite with everyone that asks about OC. This does far more good then anything else.

For being a blue state we're actually far more gun friendly then most states. Folks are not running in fear or calling the cops every time they see a gun.
 #98104  by Kuntryboy816

1st of all, welcome to the forum! Always good to have more people to chat with.

Like SDragon stated, come on over to DE and bring your XD with you. Might I suggest coming to this month's meeting? It's a great way to meet a lot of friendly people and you can feel comfortable OC'ing as the majority of us do. If you can't make the meeting, just post up on here and I'm sure more than a few of us would be willing to meet and hang out with you while OC'ing. I think we should all be willing to take the time to help out an OC noob since we were all noobs at one point in our lives.
 #98115  by Dugan

Piazza wrote:
Dugan wrote:
Piazza wrote:Thanks Dugan and Surface dragon for the tips. The whole idea is something I intend to ease into. Do plenty of research until I move in mid July, Then maybe become acquainted with some local members. I like to think my temper isn't bad. I spent four years of college explaining to everyone in Maryland that the "Jersey Shore" isn't like the TV show :banghead:

I will be moving to Newark/bear area
I lived in the woods of NJ (tabernacle) people watched the jersey shore because it was comical to think that is how the rest of the world thinks of us.

Im in New Castle right around the corner. What is your degree?
I have my bachelor's from Towson in Physics. I currently work as a corrosion engineer for a small company.

damn more engineers, im an electrical at the nuclear plant in salem.
 #98117  by Piazza

Again, thank you to everyone for the overwhelmingly helpful comments. As Dugan said earlier, NJ plasters you as looking like a criminal just for owning firearms. They fact that I ride a motorcycle only makes it worse. It refreshing to hear the acceptance and understanding.

It sounds like Delaware is far closer to a shall issue state than the level of May issue that NJ is. Something I'll look into. For now I just need to get comfortable with the idea (never mind actually doing it) of being allowed to carry in public and not getting tackled.

I'm a pretty firm believer in something is only as good as the way you present it. By that I mean for both firearms and motorcycles, if you can respectfully display your opinion and hear someone else's it goes a long way to having a mutual understanding.

I will look into the meeting and see if I can make it. Otherwise once I'm officially moved I'll certainly attend.
 #98120  by Cbmarine

Dugan wrote:
Piazza wrote:...
What is your degree?
I have my bachelor's from Towson in Physics. I currently work as a corrosion engineer for a small company.
damn more engineers, im an electrical at the nuclear plant in salem.[/quote]

I reckon then that this isn't the appropriate time to own up to an EE. ;)
 #98122  by Dugan

Cbmarine wrote:
Dugan wrote:
Piazza wrote:...
What is your degree?
damn more engineers, im an electrical at the nuclear plant in salem.
I reckon then that this isn't the appropriate time to own up to an EE. ;)[/quote]

EEs are a rare breed haha.