Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #99260  by Lawn Dart

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html

I noticed that the Ruger 10/22 Takedown comes with a backpack. Would it be legal in DE to walk around with a broken down rifle in a backpack? I walk in the woods a lot, sometimes with pistol in a holster or my rifle strapped to my back. I could see where this backpack would be handy, because I would have the capability of rifle without having to get it caught on every stick or branch I walk by. Is Ruger setting up Delaware citizens for failure by giving them a backpack to conceal their weapon in? Would this be legal anywhere in DE without a CCW?
 #99261  by astro_wanabe

IMO, yes, you would need a CCDW.

It's concealed from view.
It's "on or about" your person.
It's a deadly weapon*

*The courts have previously held:
It is quite immaterial whether a revolver is loaded or not, because such an instrument is commonly regarded as a deadly weapon without regard to its condition. If the absence of bullets would make the weapon a harmless one, then any condition that would prevent its being used at the time injuriously would have a like effect. State v. Quail, 28 Del. 310, 92 A. 859 (1914).
It seems that a firearm is a firearm regardless of condition or fitness to fire.

ETA: Also, welcome to the forum! You may want to introduce yourself here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8764
 #99263  by Surface Dragon

Isn't there a federal law that allows you to transport it unloaded in a locked case with ammo separate?

I remember the law saying transport firearm in it but I don't remember if it says anything about the type of transport like by car, on foot, or by other means. And I can't remember if the law only protects you if your traveling over state lines. If it only protects you if your traveling over state lines is there a DE law that talks about how to legally transport a firearm that is in a case?

In California I remember it being legal to transport a firearm in a locked case unloaded with ammo separate if it was being transported for lawful sporting use, or to/from a gun range, gunsmith, or a store that sells firearms.

Sorry, I really should just look it up myself but I don't think my brain can handle sifting through ridiculous amounts of legal nonsense right laws. If the lawmakers understood what "shall not be infringed" means I wouldn't even be thinking about this right now.

You guys don't need to burden yourselves with something that I'm too lazy to do right now if you don't want to. I'm sure I will look up the laws sometime today.
 #99266  by astro_wanabe

Surface Dragon wrote:Isn't there a federal law that allows you to transport it unloaded in a locked case with ammo separate?
The Federal Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA) contains a section that allows safe passage aimed at interstate transport, but you still must be legal in both your place of departure and arrival.