Discuss handloading, reloading and presses here.
 #41185  by Condition1

I have a bag full of 9mm and .40sw. I don't reload these calibers and am pretty sure I never will. If you want them, to reload not to resale, let me know and I will give them to you.

First come, first served. Must be a deloc member with 10 or more posts by the time of this post.
 #41194  by jslacker

I just started stock piling brass for when I eventually do start to reload, and those are the two calibers I intend on starting off on. It will be a while before I am able to get a setup, so I am interested, but if someone else can get use out of them before I would I will default to them. However if you still have them after a while let me know and we will transfer from your storage to mine LOL.
 #41197  by stephpd

If you're just starting out, or thinking about it, but have limited funds look towards the Lee Anniversary Reloading kit. I'm at work so links to stores are blocked, but I see that Cabela's has it for under $90. That includes most everything you need to start, including the powder scale if I'm not mistaken.

You don't have to spend a fortune to start reloading. Sure the Dillon's are nice, as are some of the other progressive presses, but they aren't needed. Even the books to get started, and it's best to start there, can be borrowed from some of the members here. I had a few members help me getting started and I've done the same for a few others. Many of us pass on 'range' brass we'll never use to others that are just getting started.
 #41198  by jslacker

Thanks Stephpd! I did actually see some of the links for reloading setups in Condition1's prior Beginner! post. I am not really sure how long it will before i will be able to actually get a press, so for now I am just doing all the reading I can on the subject. I am also planning on getting a tumbler as my initial investment, as I have read that some other members started out this way. I went to the range yesterday and picked up my brass for the first time so that when I do finally start I will have a small stockpile of empties.

Thanks for the advice, and suggestions. I was talking to my father in law about reloading last night and he used to do it himself back in the day. I think with what he already knows and what I can find out from you guys and gals I will be just fine.
 #41201  by Condition1

I started with the single stage Lee breech lock pess, really good press but when you start reloading lots of rounds it becomes a PITA because you have to change the die for each operation. I bought a Turret which allows you to have all your dies on the press and each pull of the lever does an operation. I still find it a PITA and wish I had a progressive press. But for now the Turret will do.

As far a books, everyone recommends them. I never bought one and eventhough I haven't been reloading for a long time I have close to 4000 with one squib.
 #41203  by Condition1

jslacker wrote:I just started stock piling brass for when I eventually do start to reload, and those are the two calibers I intend on starting off on. It will be a while before I am able to get a setup, so I am interested, but if someone else can get use out of them before I would I will default to them. However if you still have them after a while let me know and we will transfer from your storage to mine LOL.
They are yours. I have two more bags of brass I have not separated yet, I will get the .45acp and 10mm out this coming week and add the rest to your bag. I have not separated the 9mm and .40sw, there will also be some .380s on the mix.
 #41204  by jslacker

Thank You sir. PM inbound.
 #41205  by jslacker

Condition1 wrote:I started with the single stage Lee breech lock pess, really good press but when you start reloading lots of rounds it becomes a PITA because you have to change the die for each operation. I bought a Turret which allows you to have all your dies on the press and each pull of the lever does an operation. I still find it a PITA and wish I had a progressive press. But for now the Turret will do.

As far a books, everyone recommends them. I never bought one and eventhough I haven't been reloading for a long time I have close to 4000 with one squib.
Yeah my father in law suggested getting a turret so you could get into a rhythm when reloading. He also mentioned a case trimmer since this is not usually included in a startup kit. From what I was able to pull off of the internet your cases really only tend to "stretch" in rifles and not most handguns. Is this something that has changed since back in the day when he used to reload or is that something that he was more than likely mistaken on?
 #41206  by Condition1

jslacker wrote:
Condition1 wrote:
Yeah my father in law suggested getting a turret so you could get into a rhythm when reloading. He also mentioned a case trimmer since this is not usually included in a startup kit. From what I was able to pull off of the internet your cases really only tend to "stretch" in rifles and not most handguns. Is this something that has changed since back in the day when he used to reload or is that something that he was more than likely mistaken on?
I do have a case trimmer but never used. I reload for .45acp which is lower preassure compared to 9mm and .40sw. During my reasearch for reloading .45acp nobody trims the case, but you might want to check with others here, and other forums, and ask the guys who reload 9mm and .40sw.
Things you will need: press, dies, gun powder, primers, brass
Things good to have: tumbler, brass separator (separates the brass from tumbling media)
 #41208  by jslacker

OK you 9mm and .40 S&W re-loaders, what say you? Do you need a case trimmer for 9mm and .40 S&W on brass that is only reloaded a max of two times?