Discuss handloading, reloading and presses here.
 #41827  by jslacker

I am looking to order a beginners reloading kit before Christmas, and would like your input. I have it narrowed down to three choices, all from Cabelas.com. I have a $100 limit, so I am not trying to go too much over that. I have one turret press in mind and 2 single stage kits in mind, all manufactured by LEE. I am leaning toward the turret kit due to the assumed ease of use. The two single stage press kits are very similar, I believe the only difference is the stuff the kit includes.

Here is the turret kit I am interested in: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... 740033.uts

And the two single stage press kits:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... 731940.uts

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... 740258.uts

What say you DELOC reloaders?
 #41831  by Condition1

I started with the breech lock. Very good but a PITA, you have to change the die for each operation. I bought the turret which, IMO, is a MAJOR advance from the breech lock. The turret allows you to set all your dies at once and each lever is an operation. Honestly, after reloading a couple of thousand rounds I feel I need a progressive press, one pull one round.

My suggestion between the choices you have is to go with the turret.
 #41834  by jslacker

Thanks for the advice, I wish I did have extra money to put out for the progressive, but oh well you work with what you have right? I think I am going to order the turret one, but will wait a few more hours to "pull the trigger" on the sale so to speak, to see if any others have anything to say/offer.
 #41850  by jslacker

Bump.... anyone else want to weigh in? I will give it til 1600.
 #41856  by Strelok

Turret is faster that single stage that is for sure. If you'll end up getting turret, get the Lee classic Turret press. It's sturdier:
http://www.cabelas.com/presses-dies-lee ... erralID=NA

When I was new to reloading and didn't know what I need, I've read that you should start with single stage press and get fimiliar with the process and then move to more advanced press. So, I decided to get a turret press, I felt single stage would be too slow. After a month of reloading on turret press I was bored and tired and knew the reloading process in and out (my friend, long time reloader, helped me as well with understanding of the whole process). I regreted listening those guys and didn't buy progressive press.
I can see that you can't afford progressive press right now, so the turret will be the best choice for your situation.
 #41860  by Strelok

jslacker wrote:Bump.... anyone else want to weigh in? I will give it til 1600.
jslacker,
I've noticed that I posted my reply after 1600. So, did you arder the press yet? :D
 #41862  by jslacker

how do I say, the wife made the decission for me and nixed the idea until we have "more room" F@#*!!! Thanks anyways, let me work on it some more, but I will be getting the turret press.
 #41869  by Condition1

jslacker wrote:how do I say, the wife made the decission for me and nixed the idea until we have "more room" F@#*!!! Thanks anyways, let me work on it some more, but I will be getting the turret press.
You don't need much room, seriously. See my setup below, a little cart and the press.

I have both presses, the breech lock and the turret, set up on the little cart. I use the breech lock to deprime hundreds of shells at once, I then prime all the shells manually watching tv, then I go to the turret with 3 dies - powder die, bullet seat and feed die, and the crimp die.

The reason I have both is because I first bought the breech lock, then I found what a PITA it was but since I didn't want to spend the money to get a progressive, I bought a base turret to avoid having to change the dies all the time.

#41872  by bluedog46

nice biscotti containers for the brass :D

I actually save protein powder jugs now thinking that i might reload one day.

do all these three kits come with everything i need or do i have to add to it
 #41874  by Condition1

bluedog46 wrote:nice biscotti containers for the brass :D

I actually save protein powder jugs now thinking that i might reload one day.

do all these three kits come with everything i need or do i have to add to it
I think all you need to get is the dies set for the caliber you reload.