Discuss handloading, reloading and presses here.
 #43443  by Boots

Strelok wrote:... During that time Hornady also had promotion "1000 free bullets" with purchase. So, I "pulled the plug". ....
I think you mean you "pulled the trigger" on that deal. ;) To "pull the plug" has a very different meaning.
 #43444  by Strelok

Boots wrote:
Strelok wrote:... During that time Hornady also had promotion "1000 free bullets" with purchase. So, I "pulled the plug". ....
I think you mean you "pulled the trigger" on that deal. ;) To "pull the plug" has a very different meaning.
Ooops....., You are right, Boots, language barrier. :oops:
 #43445  by Boots

Strelok wrote:
Boots wrote:
Ooops....., You are right, Boots, language barrier. :oops:
Not a problem... we understand. :D
 #43450  by scottese

bluedog46 wrote:maybe i checked the wrong place, but arent these like $450-$600?

My advice is to delay the purchase (gratification :D ) and save up for a Dillon if you can't afford it now. You'll end up with a reloader that will outlast you and you are unlikely to outgrow.

The other factor to keep in mind is that you WILL NOT save money reloading...you will just shoot more. :lol: So I wouldn't go into it thinking that it will be a good financial move, it's not, it's a good move for training and an enjoyment factor...you also have to like sitting at a table and pulling a lever and feeding bullets for an hour before your range trip. So you have to make sure you even shoot enough to justify the time and initial investment of a reloader in the first place.

And on one final note, a double charge that blows up your gun or hurts you, is your problem...not the case with factory loaded ammo that is covered by liability insurance. I would never give my ammo away either, too much potential to take it in the pooper. When I had my Dillon 1050s, I had powder checks on both as a safety, so there are ways to mitigate the risk, but it still exists, and it costs extra :shock:
 #43454  by stephpd

Strelok wrote:Yes, they are not cheap. When I was ready to upgrade to a progressive I came across a good deal on Hornady Lock-n-Load AP Progressive press a few years ago. During that time Hornady also had promotion "1000 free bullets" with purchase. So, I "pulled the plug". I believe they give only 500 now. I'm happy with my Hornady.
They've still got the 'get loaded' deal going on. I got one as well and the 1000 .45 hollow points was sent and used. Now they only rebate 500 bullets but still not a bad deal. The Hornady L-N-L is comparable to the Dillon 650 but priced lower then the 550B.
http://www.hornady.com/promotions/get-loaded
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CFoQ8wIwAA#

Even a used Dillon goes for not much less then a new one. I bid on quite a few at 75% below new cost and was always out bid.
 #43485  by myopicvisionary

The other factor to keep in mind is that you WILL NOT save money reloading...you will just shoot more. So I wouldn't go into it thinking that it will be a good financial move, it's not, it's a good move for training and an enjoyment factor
That often does happen! But if you can control yourself, you CAN save money. I used to keep a ledger regarding my reloading costs vs factory ammunition. When I started back in the 80's, I loaded .45ACP 230gr RNLs for under $3.00 per 50. I banked a portion of the savings to cover match fees, accessories, etc.
 #43496  by bluedog46

i only go to the range once per week, so i doubt i will shoot much more. i think i pay $10.47 for walmart 9mm federals now. I had seen a couple people mention that they can reload a box for about $6 so i figure if i shoot just a little extra i might still save some money. Plus when i get my ar-15 i am sure i will save a boat load of money because of how much it costs to feed.
 #43520  by bluedog46

thanks for all the good info guys. i am always looking for a good deal though.

I was more thinking for the future. I hear horror stories about how the prices of ammo can go up. when i bought my first guns i was told 9mm was around $40 a box after the 2008 elections.

right now i can live with the $10 a box i pay, but i always like to have options. This is something i know not to get into lightly and probably as i get to know people will ask someone to show me how.
 #43523  by GatorDude

Yes, ammo costs went through the roof in preparation for the impending ban on ammo...that never even started...went anywhere...or nothing....

Fear was great for the sellers of ammo (and firearms) though.... Welcome to gouging 101.....