Discuss handloading, reloading and presses here.
 #63716  by Delta2Echo

Sometimes I have a hard time finding load data. Even when you do, sometimes the specs on the firearm/barrel are totally different, etc. Figured we could start a little database here. I recently got my own chrono, and started the long process of recreating all of my loads I've developed as well as creating new ones and noting all of the details I can within reason. Here is my first batch of info. I'm just going to write it in for now. I may throw up a URL to show everything on spreadsheets.

These are being listed for educational purposes only. I am not responsible for any damages/injuries/deaths if you decide to use this data.

Cartridge: .40 S&W
Bullet: 175 grain lead alloy flat point, sized .401
Powder: Winchester 231
Barrel: 4.5" with 1:16 twist
Primer: Winchester Small Pistol
OAL: 1.12

Velocities are a 20 shot average, barrel had a bore snake ran through it twice after every 10 shots.

Charge 4.5gr 4.6gr 4.7gr
Average Velocity 905 932 975
Minimum Velocity 875 894 929
Maximum Velocity 944 970 1013
Max Deviation 69 76 84

4.7 grains was the starting load I had found. As a general rule I always start .2 grains below whatever starting load I come across. In this case, I stopped at a charge of 4.7 because I was experiencing significant lead fouling in the first inch of the barrel which is usually indicative of the powder being too fast. Spent cases didn't show any visible signs of over-pressure.

I'm going to start with another load with Accurate No. 7, and do better testing with an old load with SR 7625 just because I still have some laying around.