Discuss handloading, reloading and presses here.
 #68759  by phlydude

I'm curious if you are reloading .40 if you are running your previous fired brass through something like this:
http://www.redding-reloading.com/new-pr ... de-die-set
or this:
http://target-arms.com/products.html

Supposed to eliminate the Glock "case bulge" from the entire case not being fully supported in Glock pistols.
 #68775  by Sodbuster

I load .40 brass, some of which has been fired in a Glock, on a Dillon Square Deal B.

The reloads have been fired through several different pistols with no issues.
 #68779  by Delta2Echo

I reload .40. Whether or not you need it run through something like that is usually dependant upon which generation Glock the round was fired through (glock is the most common example of an unsupported .40 chamber, especially with used brass usually coming from police ranges). The early gen 1s and 2s create horribly bulged cases. Gen 3 is a great improvement, gen 4 is almost as good as a fully supported chamber.

I get my once fired brass from Paul @ K&D Cartridge. He runs all of his brass through a push-through sizing die and it trimester it to spec. I can't justify the cost. A friend of mine gave me 1k of brass with major bulges, probably from gen 2s. Paul charges $5 to run it through the machine, takes about 20 min per 1k. Downside is you need to run them through a tumbler again as they have case lube on em.

I have a fully supported chamber, so reusing my fired brass isn't a concern. I don't think you're shooting a Glock, so I personally wouldn't worry about it...but everyone is different. To each his own.
 #68789  by phlydude

I looked at his site and he just mentions that the brass is cleaned...nothing about re-sizing but that is very good to know. I saw his site mentioned before and the costs are in line or slightly better than other local folks I have found. And given that he is right over by Christiana High, that puts him within 10 minutes or so of me.

I don't have a press yet (saving up the funds and trying to debate on whether to get a 550 or 650 - I know the 650 is not the best without the case feeder but having that extra station available could be useful if I ever get a bullet feeder or if I want to put in a powder check die)

I was just concerned if anyone bought any brass bulk from other sources - you are correct, I shouldn't have any issue in my M&P40 but I just want to put something down on my list for the just in case. But seeing that his charge is so cheap, I would need to run across 15k of bulged cases to break even on the die cost. Yeah, not worth it!

Thanks!
 #73173  by SeanM

I carry a Glock 23, and I also have a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 chambered in .40, and I reload my brass. I use the Lee 4 die set for my .40 reloading runs, and so far, no problems with either gun. The Glock is a Gen 2 model, purchased new in early 1995.

Sean