Discuss handloading, reloading and presses here.
 #85288  by myopicvisionary

I have exhausted my supply of Alliant(Hercules) Bullseye gun powder. Local supplies of this famous product that I have been using for decades have been hard to come by. At a recent match I was talking about this situation with a fellow competitor. He said that he had switched to Alliant's Power Pistol recently. Since we both shoot 230gr RNL bullets, he gave me his data for PP and recommended it highly. Local supply of PP is abundant so I stocked up and began load development. The resultant testing at Elk Neck yielded a load that was very accurate and actually cleaner than Bullseye. When I got to Elk Neck, the pistol range was being worked on and the ranger told me I could shoot my pistol on the rifle range. Now this was an unexpected bonus as I would not be limited to 50 yards! After I was satisfied with testing at 25 yards for PPC competition, I used the remaining rounds for longer range training. From 25 yards out to 50, there was only a minor visual elevation adjustment needed. With 30 rounds remaining, I pushed out to 100 yards. Firing from the prone position, I aimed at the neck of the B-27 silhouette target. While not a tight group by any means, most rounds dropped into the chest of the target. A few went into the belly and a couple missed but would definitely be classified as suppressing fire.
 #85295  by Owen

Nice results! I bet it's gratifying to make a load that will accurately go as far as you care to try.

230 Gr 45 right? I have been using Winchester WSF for my 9mm and 40 S&W reloads but at some point I see a 45 in my future. I may be bugging you for load data. ;)
 #85307  by myopicvisionary

Yeah, it was quite a good feeling. Any help I can give regarding the .45ACP, feel free to ask.
 #86734  by myopicvisionary

Yesterday, I used the new load under match conditions. The accuracy and reliability are there. It definitely has a much different pressure curve than Bullseye. This load is much flatter shooting so I have not nearly as much correction for trajectory. It is a little louder, but the pistol has less muzzle rise now. Another benefit is that it does NOT produce a large smoke cloud!