Discuss handloading, reloading and presses here.
 #99055  by Owen

Update: I shot a few more reloads using lil-gun but it just doesn't seem be the right powder for a proper lock open. It cycles and loads the next round just fine but doesn't lock open on the last round. As before factory worked fine. I decided to switch to H110 and built up some loads with it. My H110 is new and I am thinking 'drier' than the lil-gun which was from years ago. I'll be the new loads out after AP tonight.
 #99293  by Owen

Got a hot load running H110 at 9.8 gr. It shoots great in my new 300BLk pistol. I am gong to take it down to 9gr and work back up to save on powder and to soften it up for plinkin'! I'm loving this pistol gas system!
 #99373  by Owen

Bruizer wrote:The sheridan gauges are pretty well regarded over on 300blktalk.
http://www.sheridanengineering.com/index-1.htm#
Its on my short list to pick up.
I saw those. The slotted one is $60 but the standard one is $36.
http://ballistictools.com/store/reloadi ... tion-gauge
http://ballistictools.com/store/reloadi ... tted-gauge
 #99707  by Owen

Just ordered the slotted 300blk slotted chamber/case gauge and ...

My next bullet type: Speer 200gr Soft Point! So far loading with 10gr of H110 but I'll be trying some lighter loading tonight after AP.

BTW: I have the A-Max recipe all worked out to 9gr of H110. Shoots nice!
Last edited by Owen on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #99735  by Owen

I settled on 9.4gr of H110 under the 200gr Speer bullets. Time to load em' up in bulk.

I have a new adventure to start also. A 245gr lead bullet (on left). It has a pretty stout ogive so I'm waiting for my Sheridan slotted chamber gauge before I work out OAL. These are cheap at $0.12 ea. May make 300 BLK a good plinker. :D
Last edited by Owen on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #100201  by Owen

Loaded up the 245gr lead over 9.4gr of H110 with success! I may come down a little but it is better to start hotter with subs and then back off. Or so I'm told. With that load we are at just about $0.20 per shot (make my own brass). Not bad at all!
 #101341  by Owen

UPDATE:

I may have to nix the un-jacketed lead bullets. I shot close to 100 of them last week and didn't clean my rifle afterward. Not a big deal I thought I shot close to 50 building up the load. But this time I had shot enough at once to foul my bolt with lead. I found that out when I went to pull back on the charging handle and it wouldn't budge! :o I got it apart and spent a good portion of my wait time at AP scrubbing with what brushes and solvent I had in my range bag (which is quite a bit lol). Even after that it still is locking in so tonight after work I'll take it apart and give it a more thorough inspection. I have a spare bolt and I'll use it to test. I'm thinking I need to pull the 100 or so I have left and reload them with less powder or just move on to the coated ones I have - same 245 gr lead bullet but with a polymer coating. The 100 or so lead bullets are only worth like 20 bucks so maybe chalk that up to experience and move on. Maybe later I'll melt them down or something?

You can't learn without a little failure. Luckily I didn't "need" that rifle and then find it inoperable. :roll:
 #101357  by Owen

Last night I stripped the BCG down to parts and cleaned it in my ultrasonic cleaner. It still bound up compared to a spare BCG I have. I thought ok I'll just use the spare but to do that I needed to tighten the spares gas key and stake it. After doing that it started to bind up. Aha! It wasn't the BCG but the upper! I cleaned the upper more carefully especially where the charging handle and cam pin ride. That fixed the binding! Yay! I'll see how it works tonight after AP.
 #102315  by Owen

I decided to drop the lead bullets all together. I tried about 100 with the Hi-Tek ploymer coating which is cleaner but the ogive/profile is too chunky and hangs up in the feed ram too often. I'm back to the 208 gr A-max for now but I've got my eye on a 225 gr bthp from Hornady as well