Discuss handloading, reloading and presses here.
  by Cbmarine

Owen wrote:...

I'm still having an occasional failure to feed with the reformed brass. I caliper measured about ten loaded reformed brass rounds last night and compared to factory and the SAMMI specs sheet it seems good. I'll have to hand cycle a few loaded through to see if I have one bad piece of reformed brass or if it is something else. All the reloaded factory 300BLK brass works fine with the same bullet/load so I am thinking I need to check my shoulder forming. I really need to get a case gauge but I've had a hard time sourcing one so far. Calipers get old. lol
Seems that reformed .223 brass would be a bit thick in the neck. Neck reaming required? Don't see a shoulder forming as a problem in that the brass will conform to the chamber shortly after ignition. Full resizing completely?

Midway has L. E. Wilson Case Length Headspace Gauge 300 Blackout for $26.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/714043 ... uctFinding
  by Owen

Cbmarine wrote:Seems that reformed .223 brass would be a bit thick in the neck. Neck reaming required? Don't see a shoulder forming as a problem in that the brass will conform to the chamber shortly after ignition. Full resizing completely?

Midway has L. E. Wilson Case Length Headspace Gauge 300 Blackout for $26.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/714043 ... uctFinding
I am dubious about that one because there are many negative reviews on Midway saying it was too "loose" for diameter but I'll bite. Ordered on just to see. Also bought a Hornady bullet puller and 308 collet because the red rips get ruined if I pull the bullets with my kinetic puller. NRASHOW2 code saved me $10 off $50 though so it's all good!

I'm using a Hornady new ammunition full length sizing die. I measured all the neck diameters and the cases largest diameter and they look good. Still a work in progress me thinks. Most of my reformed brass works just fine. Maybe one out of 50 locked up in the chamber part way in so I just need to work out my kinks with the reformed brass.

I am not deterred! :lol:
  by Sodbuster

I had similar problems when I started reloading for 300 Blackout. It turned out the Hornady resizing die was cut too deep and was forming the shoulders on the .223 cases too far forward.
After taking a few thousandth's off the bottom of the die, all went much better.
  by Owen

Sodbuster wrote:I had similar problems when I started reloading for 300 Blackout. It turned out the Hornady resizing die was cut too deep and was forming the shoulders on the .223 cases too far forward.
After taking a few thousandth's off the bottom of the die, all went much better.
Good to know thanks! I have mine darn near on the shell plate of my 550b. I backed it off maybe 1/4 turn. When you say "a few" is that less than 5 thousandths? Something I could sand off?
  by Sodbuster

Owen wrote: Good to know thanks! I have mine darn near on the shell plate of my 550b. I backed it off maybe 1/4 turn. When you say "a few" is that less than 5 thousandths? Something I could sand off?
Honestly, I didn't measure when I did mine and it would depend on how far off your die is. I don't know if you could sand the metal away, those dies are hard. I put my die in the lathe and used a Dremel tool as it revolved.

Compare the shoulder on a resized factory case to a reformed .223 case, in my case the difference was visible to the eye.

The proper solution, if the die is the problem, is make Hornady deal with it.
  by Owen

Sodbuster wrote:Honestly, I didn't measure when I did mine and it would depend on how far off your die is. I don't know if you could sand the metal away, those dies are hard. I put my die in the lathe and used a Dremel tool as it revolved.

Compare the shoulder on a resized factory case to a reformed .223 case, in my case the difference was visible to the eye.

The proper solution, if the die is the problem, is make Hornady deal with it.
I agree. If I find the die is the issue I'll definitely send it in.

When I measured shoulder locations they were the same with both reformed and factory brass. I was able to manually cycle through the bullets loaded into reformed brass. I did note that the crimp might have been a little light on a couple. May just be a matter of a little more crimp.

At this point I'm going to pull the bullets out of all my hand loaded 300BLK (~40 rounds). I'll set aside the reformed for later. I have enough factory brass. I just have to decide if I want to keep up with the Lil'gun but a little lighter or switch to a different powder. I actually have a small selection of other powders I can try. Once I have a known good load with factory brass then I'll start experimenting with reformed brass again. I really want to start shooting the rifle more.
  by Owen

Cbmarine wrote:@Owen, here's an interesting 300blktalk.com thread on brass used for .223 -> .300 BLK conversion
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&start=0
Thanks! I'll have to take look when I get home. Work blocks that site. :( It's tough to do research because by the time I get home I usually get pulled in other directions. The weekend is coming so I'll do some experimentation/sleuthing then.

Thanks for the help everyone!
  by Owen

I reviewed that link Cbmarine lots of good info for my problem thanks! Once the bullet puller comes in I'll resume load building.
  by Owen

Ok been pulling bullets and re-reloading? :lol: I love this Hornady bullet puller. Removes the bullets with no fuss and they are pristine!

I started at 8.8 gr of Lil-gun per my recipe and headed out to Ommelanden. Even the 8.8 were a bit too much and caused bolt bounce, argh, but no failures to feed. I could cycle the factory 220gr just fine so I sighted in my optic for 220gr subs at 25 yards. The rifle side target runners were up so that was a pleasant time.

I started up a fresh batch with 8gr of Lil-gun working up to 8.6gr that I'll test as soon as I can. Maybe tonight after AP. I just want a nice lock open on last round now. I'll probably get a heavier buffer at some point and probably an adjustable gas block but for now I have plenty of gas (ahem) so I can download the powder and keep it cheap!