Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #88482  by TexasJay

To preface my question I need to explain a few things. I've always been a DAO shooter. Revolvers, glocks, M and P's etc. I recently handled a friends SIG 229 and loved how it felt. So I've been looking online and found some pretty good deals on used sigs and sig's certified pre-owneds.

So I went to target master the other day and rented their P226 (someone else had their 229, can't be that different right?) And got on a lane. Loaded up, and slow fired 10 rounds. They went everywhere. Hmph. Weird. Sights must be off or something. I'm not that bad a shot.

Swapped it out for a Beretta 92, which is I heard a fantastically accurate gun. Same results. Yet worse. Way worse.

Now I'm starting to get upset cause I've been practicing a lot and I'm much better with handguns than I was 6 months ago. I loaded up my personal G19 and let her rip. 10 rounds rapid fire with a G19 I had better groups than with slow fire of either previous guns. I went through basic technique corrections in my mind (grip, stance, sight picture, concentrating on even trigger pull etc). My groups improved. Barely noticeably but they did.

Down to my question. Has anyone else had this problem? Being able to shoot a DAO just fine but can't shoot a DA/SA worth beans?
 #88484  by myopicvisionary

I have known many long time DA revolver PPC shooters having trouble transitioning to autos. Everyone made the switch though it took some longer than others to master the different trigger.
 #88491  by brich2929

Keep in mind that the rentals at Targetmaster get used. A LOT! I doubt they are cleaned/maintained very often and I would think that enough gunk could maybe throw aome accuracy off. Anyone have an opinion on this??

Or am I :kuku:
 #88492  by TexasJay

brich2929 wrote:Keep in mind that the rentals at Targetmaster get used. A LOT! I doubt they are cleaned/maintained very often and I would think that enough gunk could maybe throw aome accuracy off. Anyone have an opinion on this??

Or am I :kuku:
That may have been part of the problem. I rented their ruger SR22 the other day and had to push the slide forward cause it wouldn't load all the way it was so dirty. I had to pull the slide back and push it forward. What the heck? So you're definitely not :kuku:
 #88497  by cslade454

Right now ammo quality can also be an issue too. Next time try this. Stop, unload and dry fire 10-20 times right there at the range. Do the sights remain rock stead or do they wiggle? You will now know if it is you or the gun/ammo. I always dry fire first any gun I have never fired before and frequently dry fire at the range when switching between gun that use different actions. This helps me avoid being "that guy" at the range.

I have spent a lot of time at the range. There have been days when I cant do anything wrong and days when I can't do anything right. So don't beat yourself up.