Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #36314  by myopicvisionary

I had heard that many don't train nearly enough though they carry daily. I am not throwing rocks but just offering an idea. Many shoot at Ommelanden or ENSF where drawing from a holster is verboten. For the most part, defensive shootings involve only a few rounds fired with the first to fire often the victor. Since obtaining a good grip quickly is paramount, practice involving the draw is vital. Firing only one box of ammo every week or two, the following regimen can provide valuable training without breaking the bank.

Distance: 10yards

Shooting position: Standing strong hand with support.

Starting position: Handgun loaded, safety engaged, on bench leaning against sandbag. Arms at sides.

Drill sequence: At signal, grasp handgun in strong hand and assume a two handed grip. Fire one accurate round at target without time limit. Engage safety, and return handgun to resting against sandbag. Repeat for a total of 10 shots. Measure the group size without disregarding flyers, all shots count. When groups are consistently 5” or less, increase range to target by 5 yards. Goal is 5” groups or less at 25 yards.

Shoot no more than one box of 50 rounds per training session.

When goal is met, start over again at the beginning but change shooting position to the following in order: weak hand with support, strong hand only, weak hand only.

Note: Do NOT rush the speed of each shot. Smoothness counts more than raw speed. You will naturally speed up as your skill progresses on it’s own. The pistol is benched at the start of each shot to train yourself to attain a proper grip every time. Most public ranges do not permit drawing from a holster. That should be practiced A LOT at home with a triple checked empty firearm.
 #36326  by Condition1

Great tips man. I usually go to the range once or twice a month (300 rounds), maybe I will increase my times to the range with less ammo (50 rounds) using this training technique.
 #36327  by radnor

Amy Blackthorn wrote:... my mental Rolodex!!
I'm missing cards out of mine...

Myop - Thanks for the tip!!!