Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #59683  by myopicvisionary

While cleaning up the arms room, I did an inventory of the miscellaneous parts that tend to accumulate over time. Along with the stripped DPMS lower receiver I had stashed away, I had all the parts needed to build an AR except for the bolt carrier group. So I assembled all the parts on hand and then set about to secure a BCG. While chatting with a friend of mine, he informed me that he had a spare BCG from SI Defense laying about. I asked him what he wanted for it. "How much 7mm Remington Magnum brass do you have?" "About 400 pieces." "I'll trade you even up for it. Four hundred pieces is worth more than the BCG, but since I know you scrounged it all and you don't reload for it you're getting the BCG for free!" So, I dropped by his place and made the trade. Now I have an AR-15A1/A2 hybrid for the price of the stripped receiver! It has an A1 upper receiver, pistol grip and flash suppressor. The A2 parts are the barrel, handguards and buttstock. The buttstock and handguards were a little rough on the exterior surface so that is why I put on a pauper's camo job.

#59684  by Condition1

Congrats, looks really cool. Good deal on the BCG trade, is it FA or SA?
 #59689  by Amy Blackthorn

Well, if you ever need a lovely assistant to help you break it in, let me know. After being bitten by the AR bug this summer, I can't get enough!
 #59717  by myopicvisionary

Condition1: Full auto is a no-go here in Delaware.
Amy: Did I do a bad thing letting you fire my other AR?
 #59722  by Condition1

myopicvisionary wrote:Condition1: Full auto is a no-go here in Delaware.
Amy: Did I do a bad thing letting you fire my other AR?
What makes the rifle full-auto is the combination with the sear and trigger control group...also I believe you would have to modify the lower receiver to be able to accept the full auto trigger group. All major manufacturers ship M16 bcgs with their rifles - Colt, BCM, DD, PSA, Spikes...

Copied from BravoCompanyUSA - See link below for ATF Letter

"Written by Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE), Chief of the Firearms Technology Branch
...M16 bolt carriers are not designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun and are not any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled. Further, an M16 bolt carrier is not a firearm as defined in the GCA or a machinegun as defined in the NFA. An M16 bolt carrier is simply a machinegun part and as such its domestic sale and possession is unregulated under the Federal firearms laws. It is not unlawful to utilize a M16 machinegun bolt carrier in a semiautomatic AR15 type rifle.
"
http://www.blacksuntactical.com/assets/ ... letter.pdf
 #59723  by myopicvisionary

Oh, you were refering to the BCG, not the completed rifle...duh, now that I reread what you posted. The carrier is a semi.

#79333  by myopicvisionary

So I have had this rifle up and running for awhile. But the M16A2 buttstock was too long for Mary's length of pull. But a collapsible buttstock for $84.95 from Bravo Company USA solves the problem nicely. Combined with a Knight's M5 RAS and forward pistol grip, Mary now has a rifle that fits her.

#88528  by myopicvisionary

Another build in the works!

#88558  by Mr.Skellington

Did that start out as an 80% receiver?