Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #59715  by fdegree

I posted an accuracy problem with my Taurus, and that got me thinking about a second conceal carry gun to have on hand, just in case. Plus, you can never have too many...they are like potato chips.

Anyway, I have reduced my desires down to the following:
Glock 19
Walther PPS 9mm
Kel Tec PF9
Kel Tec P11

I realize this is a personal choice with a number of variables, so there is no way anyone can say for certain which is best for me. I'm hoping to get some thoughts about the good and bad that people have experienced with these guns so I can become better educated and maybe even narrow my list down before going out and trying these on for size.

Concerns that I already have with these guns:
Glock 19 -- Gen 4 spring issues regarding ejection of weaker ammo...I think Glock has solved this problem though.

Walther PPS -- Magazine release lever seems like an awkward method of dropping the magazine.

Kel Tec -- The small grip. I would prefer to have all fingers securely on the grip and not under it.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated...
 #59716  by bmel17

I have a PF9 and a Glock 19. The glock is all around great to me, it's not hard to conceal. Mine is gen 3 though. I have a tagua IWB holster for it. I've had it for 10 years and no hiccups. My PF9 is small and very concealable. You get used to it, my pinky is under the grip. The small size will have you feeling more recoil. You just need to get used to shooting it to be accurate with it too. I have had one FTF remedied in a second by tugging the slide. Might have been a light round or I could have limp wristed it.

I'll carry either or both depending on the occasion
 #59749  by bluedog46

Condition1 wrote:Glock 26
Ill second the 26.

I also like the ruger lc9. That is probably one I will be looking to get.

Keltech seems hit or miss. SOme people really like them others dont. I know most people have told me they have more felt recoil than many.

I actually would say get a gen 3 glock as the gen 4 might have been corrected, but there seems to have been a couple issues people on different boards have talked about.
 #59750  by fdegree

Why the Glock 26 instead of the 19?

The 26 appears to have the same concern I have with the Kel Tecs...grip being too small, resulting in my pinkie being under the grip instead of wrapped around it. I can say I don't like that feel when holding a gun.
 #59752  by Condition1

fdegree wrote:Why the Glock 26 instead of the 19?

The 26 appears to have the same concern I have with the Kel Tecs...grip being too small, resulting in my pinkie being under the grip instead of wrapped around it. I can say I don't like that feel when holding a gun.
I had a G19, great gun. I found the G26 was a little better to carry IWB, and as far as the pinkie you can get the grip extension for a perfect grip.
 #59755  by Mr.Skellington

fdegree wrote:I posted an accuracy problem with my Taurus, and that got me thinking about a second conceal carry gun to have on hand, just in case. Plus, you can never have too many...they are like potato chips.

Anyway, I have reduced my desires down to the following:
Glock 19
Walther PPS 9mm
Kel Tec PF9
Kel Tec P11
Any feedback is greatly appreciated...

The Glock is the best of you selections. Its also the largest by far so depending on how you plan to carry this needs to be factored in.

I also really wanted a Walther PPS but handling one solved that for me. The magazine release really is terrible and killed it for me. Instantly eliminated from my list. If you can get past that part then your ahead of me and may like that one. Also I had one experience with Walther/S&W customer service do not look forward to ever having one again so that's a personal aversion of mine against Walther/S&W.

I want to like the PF9 but have read enough mixed reviews to remain neutral on it whereas I wouldn't give the P-11 the time of day.

The PF9 had a list of problems but it seems like they may have been addressed and current 'new' models are ok. Before buying one I'd look deep into this and do my homework. Google "X problems" where X is the name of the gun your looking into. Its a great way know what your buying.

The P-11, judging by reliability reviews, is the worst of your picks and will probably be first to be eliminated upon further study. If I recall there were a pair of them at the X-ring that were being sold and returned in record time I can only imagine due to function problems. Now not to down Kel-Tec too much here but last I recall a member here had an iffy experience with their customer service. Due to the record of Kel-Tec you should place some heavy thought into their warranty described here:
http://www.keltecweapons.com/faq/#nul
The exact warranty terms and conditions can be found in the back of the instruction manual that came with your Kel-Tec product. It usually covers defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the product and for the ORIGINAL OWNER only. Only Kel-Tec manufactured products are covered by this warranty, for exact details please consult your manual or download a copy here.

Ruger makes pistols very similar (or vice versa if you prefer) to Kel-Tec that seem to have better reliability records if your really into those pistol styles FWIW.

Be sure to let us know which direction you go.
 #59770  by fdegree

I have held the Walther, and I REALLY like how that fits. But, the mag release was difficult for me to operate, so I'm hesitant to get that one.

I don't like having my pinkie under the grip...I prefer to have all fingers help hold the gun. So, the Kel Tec's are probably out.

I am leaning more toward the Glocks. The previous recommendations of the Glock 26 have me thinking. The small grip gives the Glock 26 the same concern as the Kel Tecs, but Condition1's suggestion of the grip extension kind of takes that worry away.

If the grip extension is added to the Glock 26, is it really that much different from the Glock 19? I realize the 19 is about 1" longer than the 26...is that a significant difference?

Although, the Glock 26 has very similar dimensions as my Taurus after the mag extension is added.

It sounds like it's time to find the Glock 19 and 26 so I can try them out...
 #59791  by bluedog46

you can rent both at targetmater for $10 a piece. I am sure there are also members that would let you shoot theirs. If I owned either you would be welcomed to shoot it.