Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #61332  by Lascivious1

So after 700 rnds through my new Ruger SR9c i think im doing really good hitting the mark "bullseye" and so is the gun without any malfunctions.. "knock on steel"

But i have a question for you marksman.

Let me explain first where i am at.
When im at TM at the 15 marker out of 10 rnds ill hit the bullseye 4/10 times. the other 4 will be with in 3-4inches and the other 2 rnds will be 6inches or more above the mark.
my concern is not with the 3-4 inch marks since this to me is still a hit because they are so close to the mark it will still be a lethal shot and the targets are way smaller then an actual assaulter. but my 2 cast aways that end up high above the mark is where i cant figure out.

Question: could this be the recoil of the gun just after the pin strikes the bullet causing this?
i would think so but why the only the two cast aways?
is it possible im limp wristed on these two shots? lol

one thing i should point out is the first time i took the gun target practicing i wasnt really aiming just firing the rnds to break the gun in. after that day i noticed i could adjust the rear aiming sights. why i moved them ill never know but i did. they were originally flush with the gun. but i decided i liked them raised abit. so i left them raised.
do you think this could be causing me more of a problem then helping out my aiming?
If the rear sights are raised would that have me raising the point of the gun or lowering the point of the gun to get my 3 dots aligned?

I also notice that when i am aiming in stance i tend to lay back. i like to atleast keep myself standing straight up as leaning forward seams so uncomfortable to me. btw i keep my feet square with my shoulders.
 #61338  by myopicvisionary

Flyers out of the group are caused by you. Jerking the trigger is the most common culprit. You have demonstrated that you can hit the target. Consistency is the key here. Doing the right thing over and over. It's basic marksmanship, no black magic involved. Do you dry fire? And I mean alot. As for adjusting the sights, that has nothing to do with inherent accuracy. The sights only determine where the shot group will be on the target. Without messing with the rear sight, practice until you can produce a shot group in the same place every time. I mattters not if it is in the X-ring, the 7-ring at 4 o'clock or out of the black in the lower left corner. As long as all the rounds go in the same place, that is what is important. Once you can produce a good group consistently, then adjust the sight to move the bullet impact to where you want.
 #61342  by Lascivious1

myopicvisionary wrote:Flyers out of the group are caused by you. Jerking the trigger is the most common culprit. You have demonstrated that you can hit the target. Consistency is the key here. Doing the right thing over and over. It's basic marksmanship, no black magic involved. Do you dry fire? And I mean alot. As for adjusting the sights, that has nothing to do with inherent accuracy. The sights only determine where the shot group will be on the target. Without messing with the rear sight, practice until you can produce a shot group in the same place every time. I mattters not if it is in the X-ring, the 7-ring at 4 o'clock or out of the black in the lower left corner. As long as all the rounds go in the same place, that is what is important. Once you can produce a good group consistently, then adjust the sight to move the bullet impact to where you want.
Yes, I dry fire some but not alot. Only to get a feel for the trigger. Should i use dry fire as a means to pratice keeping my hand steady at aim and fire?

Is there any tips someone can give me to help with holding hands steady and i occasionally get a bit blurry vision starring at the middle dot while trying to hold steady to fire the round.
does it really work to hold a breath on each fire?
 #61345  by myopicvisionary

Dry fire every day! Holding steady is a matter of building arm strength. You are holding a heavy weight at arm's length. Leverage is working against you. Dry firing is also weight training!
 #61350  by jslacker

Lascivious1 wrote:
...Should i use dry fire as a means to pratice keeping my hand steady at aim and fire?

Is there any tips someone can give me to help with holding hands steady and i occasionally get a bit blurry vision starring at the middle dot while trying to hold steady to fire the round.
does it really work to hold a breath on each fire?[/quote]

Also keep in mind that constant dry fire will ingrain that muscle memory into your brain as well. Yes taking shots between breathes really helps as well.
 #61353  by Lascivious1

georgie c wrote:or it could be you are shooting through a time warp , or a hole in the space time continum. :lol: :lol:
Too Funny :pointlaugh:

Thanx guys i'll work on the dry fire more.

while we are talking about dry fire. mind if i slip in a question about dry fire?

My owners manual says dry fire is safe to do with my gun as long as i keep an empty mag in.
I'm just wondering how many times in one day is to many to dry fire the gun? say i find 3 days a week i can fit in some dry fire practice since i run a busy schedule. how many time's should i dry fire? i want to build strength,accuracy and a feel for the gun but i also dont want to run the gun in the ground by dry firing to much.
 #61354  by jslacker

I know nothing about Taurus firearms (you own a Taurus right?) however if your manual says its fine to do as long as the magazine is in, then I would think it is safe to assume that you can dry fire that weapon until your finger falls off.

I have a question of my own now, spinning off of your question, What difference does it make if the magazine is present or not in these Taurus firearms? Is this specific to Taurus or to any pistol?
 #61355  by Lascivious1

jslacker wrote:I know nothing about Taurus firearms (you own a Taurus right?) however if your manual says its fine to do as long as the magazine is in, then I would think it is safe to assume that you can dry fire that weapon until your finger falls off.

I have a question of my own now, spinning off of your question, What difference does it make if the magazine is present or not in these Taurus firearms? Is this specific to Taurus or to any pistol?
Taurus? darn they dont have a puke emotion face :cry:
No i dont have a Taurus. i own a Ruger SR9c. my manual says the reason for the mag to be inserted is to not damage the "magazine disconnect mechanism or striker".