Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #65777  by bluedog46

When I first got my pistol and rifle I was told you should periodically rotate the magazines that you keep loaded. I have heard everything from one month to six months. There are also some people I have talked to that said they never rotate their mags. I often roate mine once per month or every two months.

I was curious if anyone has a thought on that. The other question is regarding ar-15 mags. They dont seem to be as easy to unload as say a glock mag since the bullet appears to sit lower, so I was wondering how often people rotate their ar-15 mags. I was figuring I will probably keep at least 4 loaded in case of need like SHTF or the dead rising.

Thanks.
 #65778  by myopicvisionary

I keep my 20 Magpul Pmags loaded with the storage covers on.
 #65782  by BigJoe

I keep mine loaded without worries. I have a couple of beretta mags that have been loaded for the better part of 14 years. Most mag issues I've encountered can be attributed to lack of cleaning and maintenance.
 #65787  by bluedog46

So how often should you clean a mag and maintain it?
 #65791  by BigJoe

The correct answer is "whenever you clean your weapon". Reality is much less often, once a year maybe. Check the follower if it doesn't drop evenly clean your mags.
 #65806  by bluedog46

somehing tells me I am going have to take these apart.
 #65808  by jslacker

There not that bad/hard the Glock ones are kind of a pain but can still be done.
 #65816  by Dr. Eastwood

Simply using them is easier than changing them out every other month.