Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #66851  by Frank

Adjusting your sights may be the answer. If trigger press, too much finger (or too little) on the trigger, or grip are the problem, sight adjustment is not the answer.
Dry firing can tell you if trigger control or grip are causing you to shoot to the left. Conventional wisdom says if you can shoot a good group, and it is not on target, adjust your sights. However, shooting left or low left is also a sign of a trigger control problem, before you adjust your sights confirm that grip or trigger control is not an issue. If poor trigger press is consistent, you can shoot a good group. When dry firing carefully watch your sights, when the gun fires see if the sights move. Only dry fire can show this, as recoil when live firing will not allow you to see the sight picture when the gun fires. If dry fire shows a trigger control problem, (the sights move when you press the trigger) try to carefully press the trigger instead of pulling it. Also try different finger locations on the trigger, or adjust your grip. Too loose a grip can be a problem, as can a grip which places pressure on one side of the pistol. I hope this helps.
 #66860  by Jonnybow

Always tough to diagnose a shooting problem from a computer but you did get some excellent feedback from others.

Since I'm hearing that your groups are consistently tight BUT shooting left, I would say the correct answer is to adjust your rear sight.

With that said, I'm sure it will correct the issue BUT if it doesn't...... Grip, stance, eye dominance, anticipating the shot and jerking the trigger will all potentially cause a shot to go left (for a RH shooter). Try all of them, one at a time to see what the root cause of the issue is.

Good luck and post back up when you figure it out.
 #66879  by bluedog46

With right hand/left eye domimant would it be best to typically close my weak eye or keep both eyes open?
 #66885  by Jonnybow

bluedog46 wrote:With right hand/left eye domimant would it be best to typically close my weak eye or keep both eyes open?
If you keep both eyes open and you have opposite eye dominant, you will almost always shoot off the target. You will have to do one of two things. Either squint/close the left eye or shoot with your head over the gun and use your left eye to aim. Whichever you do, you must continually practice so it is a natural thing for you. If you don't practice, when you shoot in a stressful situation, you will revert back to what your body knows and it will be bad.
 #66888  by bluedog46

Jonnybow wrote:
bluedog46 wrote:With right hand/left eye domimant would it be best to typically close my weak eye or keep both eyes open?
If you keep both eyes open and you have opposite eye dominant, you will almost always shoot off the target. You will have to do one of two things. Either squint/close the left eye or shoot with your head over the gun and use your left eye to aim. Whichever you do, you must continually practice so it is a natural thing for you. If you don't practice, when you shoot in a stressful situation, you will revert back to what your body knows and it will be bad.
Thanks. What about closing my right eye?
 #66895  by Jonnybow

bluedog46 wrote: Thanks. What about closing my right eye?
Yes, you can close your right eye and you will have to hold your head over the gun since you are shooting right handed. My wife does just this technique. If it works for you, use it.

You will always have problems if you keep both eyes open because naturally, being right handed you want to use your right eye to aim BUT since your left eye dominant, this will cause your aim to be way off.
 #66900  by Frank

You could also place a piece of translucent tape on one lense of your shooting glasses. Shotgunners commonly do this to help an eye dominence problem. There are even commercial spots sold for this purpose.
 #66908  by Jonnybow

Frank wrote:You could also place a piece of translucent tape on one lense of your shooting glasses. Shotgunners commonly do this to help an eye dominence problem. There are even commercial spots sold for this purpose.
Great advice, allot of guys in every shooting sport do this. Another way is to put a fold down shade off the brim of your hat that covers your right eye, this way you can keep it open but it cannot influence your aim. Either suggestion is doable.
 #66918  by bluedog46

Thanks guys