Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #65961  by daddyof2

So I went to the range yesterday with my father ( He took his sig p226 and i took my glock 19 gen 3). we were taking turns with our guns with a target each covering half the cardboard backing. compared to his, my shots were just not impressive. We were loaded 7 rounds at a time and on his, he would get 2 or 3 bulls-eyes with the rest in one/2 inch group. Mine on the other hand were ALL left (not low left that they say it common) with none hitting a bulls-eye. But all were in a 3 inch group just left. I finally noticed what exactly it was doing and instead of aiming at the bulls-eye i would aim 2 inches right. and BAM hitting bulls-eye 2 out of 7 times with the rest within an inch...
so anyway, i guess my question is: is this a sight problem and if so what do i need to do to adjust for my shots going left. OR am i really moving that much where the off 2 inches. (i dont want to believe im off because i dont really have many flyers its usually in a very consistent group just not where i want the group to be..
any tips, tricks, or insight would be appreciated.
 #65966  by Lascivious1

I'm not expert but i improved dramatically when i stopped my trigger finger from wrapping around the trigger and only using my pad of the finger to squeeze the trigger.

that is the first thing i think of when i see my marks left of the bullseye!

also i realized that i was to tence or should i say tightneing my body up to hold the gun firm and straight. i realized after a few visits to the range that letting go of all my muscles and just squeezing the trigger and let it be what it will be i got better hits.

i also noticed its like golf lol
Let me explain.. just like golf when you take a swing at the ball you follow through and finish the pose. the same with firing a pistol or any other firearm. when you pull that trigger. squeeze it all the way back and hold it for that 1 sec to let the gun do what it naturally does.
remember relax.

A jerk,pause,stop, or flinch will cause a miss on what you were intentionally trying to hit.

the experts will follow up and maybe correct anything i may have said not to be true. but this is what i have been focusing on and im a one man hitting machine lol :lol:

but then again you have a glock. i hear you cant hit a side of a barn with those guns lol
 #65967  by daddyof2

I appreciate your input but i knew one of those smart comments "because its a glock" was coming.ha. there's a reason why many have copied the glock's POLYMER and "simple" setup.. it works. I've taken the gun to the range maybe 5 times in the last 2 months, shooting 200 rounds at each go. Ive pretty much got my stance, breathing, steady hand ect.. down with this gun. im not unhappy with my shooting in general, like i said, it shoots consistent, never a jam, and relatively tight groups. 3 inch or so. The groups are just never in the right place compared to where i was aiming.
 #65977  by fdegree

I am far from an expert...but when I went through some one-on-one training before I took the CCW class, I was having the same problem with a .22 revolver. The instructor had me step backward, just a few inches, with my right foot. This is all it took to bring me on target.

It may not work for you, but it certainly can't hurt anything to try it.
 #65978  by daddyof2

absolutely doesn't hurt to try. I may have to switch my stance then, cause i normally just shoot in the isosceles stand with feet about shoulder width apart.. may have to try something different.
 #65979  by cj45lc

myopicvisionary wrote:Move your rear sight to the right.

What he said...
 #65983  by bluedog46

If you shot the glock the whole time and had this problem it could be the trigger pull. I really like glocks and lots of people dont have a problem with the trigger pull. I do know other people though that pull sligtly to the left because of the safety and the break on the trigger as well as the "travel" of the trigger. I hit straight on with my taurus m92, s&W m&p9 c and ati 1911.

I have been debating trying some of the trigger jobs like a 3.5 trigger pull. That might help.
 #65992  by daddyof2

yea i was also thinking about the "ghost" trigger i think its called. ( the 3.5 connector) to lighten the pull. well ill have to take all this into consideration and see if i can fare better next visit.