Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #67027  by budkyle

I recently acquired a WW1 Remington 1911. It has No. 75922 stamped on the frame right side. Is this the serial #? I looked up the production numbers and in 1918 the numbers were 1 thru 13381 and in 1919 they were 13382 thru 21676. Any help appreciated. Also, this gun and a Llama 38 Super from the same era are for sale.
 #67029  by Boots

Remington Arms, or Remington Rand?

WW I ended in November of 1918. That doesn't correspond with the Remington Arms serial numbers for that year, so it wouldn't be a WW I gun.

Anyway, most, or virtually all of the older 1911s were rebuilt at least once sometime in their history... so, perhaps you'll find parts from several manufacturers and from several eras.

To reliably date various parts of the gun would probably require a 1911 historian.
 #67040  by budkyle

I don't know how to post pics; I can email them. Is there a forum on posting pics? Thanks
 #67041  by jslacker

You will need to host your pictures online and link to them...

I joined Photobucket just to post pictures to this site.

Once you have figured out how to upload your pictures to Photobucket you can post them here.

Once you have your pictures uploaded to Photobucket you can just hover your pointer over the picture and it will bring up a box with 4 boxes, your going to want to click the box that says IMG code. If the popup doesn't automatically appear click the picture and the 4 boxes will be off to the right. This should automatically copy the code to your clipboard. With the code copied come back to DELOC and just press paste in the body of your message. Photobucket automatically inserts the brackets when copying it, if you choose a different hosting website(other than photobucket) you may have to copy the code and then press the Img button up top here and then past the code in between the brackets.... although I have only used photobucket so im not sure...
 #67046  by budkyle

LLama 38 Super:

#67047  by budkyle

JS-Thank you for the tutorial!!
 #67048  by budkyle

Both guns have numbers etched on the side of the slide. These aren't visible in all of the pics I posted.
 #67049  by budkyle

2nd pic from the bottom is the 1911....sorry for the confusion.
 #67051  by Boots

I haven't found any evidence of a Remington Arms-UMC in that serial number range. So, I'm gonna do some guessing...

Is there any evidence that the frame was made by Springfield Armory? If so, the s/n would date the frame to 1915.

After WW I, the gun was probably arsenal rebuilt with a Remington-UMC slide in 1918, or sometime thereafter.

What the gun is worth?... only an expert could decide. But, I think an early model 1911 in relatively good condition is definitely a valuable piece of history. :D

[Edited - some info corrected]
Last edited by Boots on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.